Odessa Barb Question

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently purchased an Odessa Barb, I purchased it by itself but was told as long as there are barbs of similar size for it to school with I'd be alright. Now my OB is chasing around my other barbs and smaller fish, do you think adding another Odessa Barb will ease aggression?

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We need a bit more information than that. Size of the tank, type and other fish in the tank, and type of filter. In regards to different species schooling together if they are the same size, it really comes down to a fish my fish basis. This question comes up a lot with varying species of cory cats and there are times where they school together perfectly and aren't any problems but there are also times when they don't get along at all. To start it would be helpful to get a bit more information in order to see if you have enough tank space to add any more fish or if you should just return the odessa barb.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. From smallest to largest I have around 7 reg neons, 5 black neons, 5 Glowlite tetras, 3 white clouds, 6 tiger barbs,3 albino cory cats, 3 Buenos Aires tetras, 5 pink danios (being bullied) 3 gold pristella (sp?) Tetras (also being bullied) 5 glowlite danios, 3 pearl danios, 5 serpae (sp) tetras, 3 Congo tetras, 4 neon rosey barbs plus the Odessa, 3 harlequin tetras, 2 roseline sharks, a Bolivian Ram, a Blue Ram, a gold ram, a dwarf gourami, a pearl gourami, and 2 plecos, all in a 75 tall, also 1Geophagus cichlid & Brichardi cichlid. I have a fluval 404 & 405 on it. Thanks in advance!!

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are these barbs generally aggressive? Anyone ever keep one by itself? Hes aggressive most at feeding time.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see this OB mellowing out that much, Im just going to return it, thanks guys really.

Brandon Bennett

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As a rule of thumb most Barbs are at least semi-aggressive but mellow out with a shoal of 6 or more. I don't know much about the Odessa but I see them at Petsmart and they're certainly pretty.

I mixed Rosy Barbs and Red Glass Barbs together because I thought they were almost the same. Even then to my surprise the Red Glass and the Rosies don't really school together. They know that they're different and each species sticks to their own. They don't fuss with each other though and they don't fuss with other fish. Of course, there's nothing in the tank that they can fuss with. My Bolivian Rams and my Columbian Tetras are both tough-minded species.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for that reply Brandon, I wasn't sure about a difference between the rosey and red glass barbs either, I thought they may have been the same also. I really like my Odessa barbs colors, but it's really the only aggression in the tank

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rosy and red glass barbs are pretty much the same except that the red glass ones tend to be more energetic. As Brandon said, they will not school together either. Honestly I'm surprised that there hasn't been any more fighting prior to adding the odessa barb. I think that your best bet is to simply return the odessa and call it a day. That tank is already over stocked and adding more fish will only make it worse.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VWTDI02 said:
Rosy and red glass barbs are pretty much the same except that the red glass ones tend to be more energetic. As Brandon said, they will not school together either. Honestly I'm surprised that there hasn't been any more fighting prior to adding the odessa barb. I think that your best bet is to simply return the odessa and call it a day. That tank is already over stocked and adding more fish will only make it worse.
Lol, I know I have a lot of fish, which is why I didn't really want to add much more, BUT I figured if the Odessa didn't accept the others, it was pretty much by itself, and that wouldn't be giving the Odessa a proper chance. SOOO, I bought 2 more today and the Odessa has almost completely mellowed out!! Im trying to figure out which fish I may pull. But no, absolutely NO aggression issues . I've had this set up going like this for about 3 months.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As a matter of fact, it looks like the other barbs have relaxed and have been schooling together much more!! SWEET!!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Different kinds of barbs don't generally school together unless they're totally freaked out (had this happen once when my gold and rosy barb schools were reduced to 1 and 2--ugh). Their aggressiveness really varies in the presence of other kinds of barbs.

You need to round out a couple of your schools to 5-6 minimum. I'm amazed that your pristellas can deal with this situation.

Everyone else in the tank is ok? Is it heavily planted?

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
endlercollector said:
Different kinds of barbs don't generally school together unless they're totally freaked out (had this happen once when my gold and rosy barb schools were reduced to 1 and 2--ugh). Their aggressiveness really varies in the presence of other kinds of barbs.

You need to round out a couple of your schools to 5-6 minimum. I'm amazed that your pristellas can deal with this situation.

Everyone else in the tank is ok? Is it heavily planted?
Yeah I was most concerned about pristellas, I don't think they could have withstood too much more bullying, they're back to being a somewhat happy three some, they probably could use a few more in their pack, but I want to pull a few fish out, they may go. Maybe pull the pink danios, and the glowlite danios. The tank is well planted, and aggression is usually a quick nip by one of the rams, or the tiger barbs and serpaes fighting amongst themselves.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think Im gonna boot my neon rosey barbs, they're kinda boring, they dont seem to school with anyone, think my other barbs will miss them?

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Buenos Aires tetras have been going haywire today!! While they have been really rambunctious since I've gotten them, and that's 1 of things I really like about them, they have been swirling and swarming each other, whipping everyone else up at the same time. I haven't seen any physical damage yet, but this looks really aggressive,. Is this normal, is this happening because I'm only keeping 3?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom