Odessa (and/or Filament) Barbs Vs. Rainbowfish

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've long been intrigued by barbs. In particular, I really like Odessa and Filament Barbs. I've never kept either as I've always been lead to believe that they need cooler water than what I have (upper 70s to lower 80s).

I have a mixed school of Rainbowfish currently, and unfortunately, they're not doing great (well, truth be told, certain types aren't doing great, while others seem to be doing well). It's no surprise that Rainbowfish are quite expensive, and I'm considering moving away from them rather than continuing to replace them. I'm wondering if either of the Barbs I've mentioned are more (or less) hardy than Rainbows. I'm also wondering more about their temperature requirements, and if I could keep them safely. Lastly, my current stock should be considered, to be sure everyone would do ok.

I've got a 100 gallon tank. 2 Blood Parrots, 3 Keyhole Cichlids, 1 Severum, 1 Fearherfin Catfish, 2 Hybrid Synodontis Catfish, 1 Clown Pleco, 9 Congo Tetras.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
the temperature rang for odessa barbs is confusing when you search it up - i know because i have a school of 15. most websites say they do best in cooler water up to 71.5*F, but fishlore says the do fine up to 78*F. our tank is set to stay around 75*F - 78*F and they are happy and breeding...but a little bit nippy with each other and even our firemouth.

they seems quite hardy in my experience...but to be fair, so did the red rainbows we once had.

i dont know about filament tetra but google "filament tetra temperature" and you'll find some info.

what temperature is your tank for the rest of your stock? and what has gone wrong with keeping your rainbow species? have your cichlids/sev picked on them?

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've seen very contradictory temps for both the Odessa Barb, and the Filament Barb, which is why I was asking that question. I've seen everything from low 70's to low 80's as the high end of their range, so I'm really not sure what to think.

No, nobody has been too aggressive with the Rainbows. I can't be positive, but it seems as though at one point, I introduced a few that were in bad health despite not showing signs. Those fish are long since gone, but they seem to still be wreaking havoc. Admittedly, I haven't lost a ton of fish, but at the price of Rainbows, it only takes a few deaths to be disheartened! The Rainbows seem to be the only ones effected, though as I haven't lost anything else.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JGombs99 said:
I've seen very contradictory temps for both the Odessa Barb, and the Filament Barb, which is why I was asking that question. I've seen everything from low 70's to low 80's as the high end of their range, so I'm really not sure what to think.

No, nobody has been too aggressive with the Rainbows. I can't be positive, but it seems as though at one point, I introduced a few that were in bad health despite not showing signs. Those fish are long since gone, but they seem to still be wreaking havoc. Admittedly, I haven't lost a ton of fish, but at the price of Rainbows, it only takes a few deaths to be disheartened! The Rainbows seem to be the only ones effected, though as I haven't lost anything else.
like i said, our odessas are at 23.5-25.5*C which is on the high end. the only possible negative effect is that they are a bit aggressive with each other and other species in the tank, but they are breeding successfully (and mostly eating their young). ideally, i'd probably keep odessas at 21-22*C from my own research, but texasdomer said it should be fine if we keep the tank around 24 which is what we do

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks! I think I'd be keeping the tank at least as warm as you are, and maybe a bit warmer. Currently, I'm trying to get it down to around 78 from about 81. I've got her helping me on another thread, actually, so I should be good.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom