Oddly specific fish deaths, all 6 of my Rosy Barbs died last night.

mattmf1

Hello,

I am at a bit of a loss here.

All 6 of my Rosy Barbs died last night.

The only change is that my air pump that runs my 8" bubble wall died last night. I didn't think much of it, since I was going to replace it this morning.

Every other fish(3 angels, 10 Danios, 2 mollies, 6 mystery snails, 1 crayfish, countless MTS, 6 albino corries and 1 golden algae eater) are ALL fine.

I am truly at a loss here.

I have had these guys since day one of the tank(8 months) and they have survived so may mistakes(over stocking, not cycling, incompatible tank mates and of course owner error) that it seems so awful that they died because of no air bubbles.

Well, if anyone has any other ideas about what would target one specific species of fish(besides lack of oxygen which is my ONLY guess currently), please fire away.

bobbyv34

Did they have any battle scars as your crayfish are pretty notorious for beating up and killing fish. Also though you said you had them from day one when you didnt cycle your tank. Usually when that happens it can drastically shorten the life of your fish and that could be the culprit seeing they all died at the same time. To be sure though you should post up your water parameters so we can see if you have any visible problems.

LyndaB

+1

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was very surprising..... :console:

mattmf1

No wounds...and when they cray kills something, he eats it.

I thought about the fact that I had them through the cycling process and that may have weakened them, but for them to have all died togthether in the same 6 hour window is crazy. Also, they have been the fish that thrived the most in my tank, growing at a speady and consistant rate, never sluggish, always eating.

Paramaters are always up to date in my profile-API Liquid Kit- Ammonia 0.0 ; Nitrite 0.0 ; Nitrate always between 5-20 ; PH 7.8(been stable since day 1) ; Temp 79-81

I dunno, I am still stumped...???

LyndaB

I'm stumped, too.

Is there any remote possibility that some cleaning agent got into the tank? Anything foreign at all that affected them and not the others?

They all looked fine? No symptoms of anything?

Columnaris can strike so quickly that the fish may actually die before exhibiting any symptoms but I don't know of any other disease that could.

mattmf1

I don't believe anything foreign got into the tank. I did my standard water change a few days before, but as usual I do it far from any cleaning agents/toxins/poisons. But even if something DID get into the tank, is it possible that it would only be able to target the one species? I use the same water for both tanks(46G and 10G betta) and everyone else is fine.

I did not notice any change in them at all, and me and my son sit and watch them every night before bed.

They aren't like Salmon and up and die if they try and spawn, are they? I dunno, i'm sure they aren't, but I am just very perplexed by the whole situation.

LyndaB

Well, it could be that they were left so stressed and weaker from being used to cycle the tank that they would fall victI'm to something prior to the other fish. It would have left them more sensitive and their immune systems not as strong.

I would monitor the tank very carefully. Look at the other fish for signs of anything fuzzy on any part of their body. If the barbs did have columnaris (a long shot but still possible), if any of the other fish consumed parts of them prior to your finding them and removing them from the tank, then they could get the disease.

mattmf1

OK, thanks for the fresh idea, I will keep my eyes peeled. My 2 mollies have been with me since the start of the tank as well.

Maybe the barbs joined a cult when I wasn't watching and drank the special kool-aid in preparation of the meteor shower.

Last edited:

LyndaB

oh, that was sooooooooooo bad...... og1

GemstonePony

I'm afraid the only thing that comes to my mind is also a freak incident of columnaris: it can kill crazy fast, esp under high temps and high alkalinity, may not show much for outward signs, if one barb got affected it could easily infect the whole school, but unless another fish nipped an infected one it would be fine.
Just a wild stab in the dark, but it also ussually accompanies a hike in temperature- maybe the death of the bubble wand was just enough to get it started?
Keep us posted as to how your fish are doing!

mattmf1

Evrybody is still doing well, no signs of illness yet. Plenty active and eating like ususal.

mattmf1

Last update...

Everybody is still happy and healthy. Still have no idea what killed them.

Everythingzen

Glad the others are well. Must be hard to relax about things, and frustrating, never finding the cause.

Parasight

Test your water, I've heard of this a couple of times.

xxSTEPHENSxx

No wounds...and when they cray kills something, he eats it.

I thought about the fact that I had them through the cycling process and that may have weakened them, but for them to have all died togthether in the same 6 hour window is crazy. Also, they have been the fish that thrived the most in my tank, growing at a speady and consistant rate, never sluggish, always eating.

Paramaters are always up to date in my profile-API Liquid Kit- Ammonia 0.0 ; Nitrite 0.0 ; Nitrate always between 5-20 ; PH 7.8(been stable since day 1) ; Temp 79-81

I dunno, I am still stumped...???

That temp seems a little high to me. But I'm not sure if it would kill them or not. I think they like 64-74 degrees...

Latest threads

Top Bottom