oddball fish for ten gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
in looking for a oddball fish for a ten gallon.i do culture live foods and am looking for something funky/cool.

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you like color, peacock gudgeons are really pretty. They have colors similar to Killifish. I currently have 1 m and 2 f in my 10g. They like live foods, but do not require them.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you like color, peacock gudgeons are really pretty. They have colors similar to Killifish. I currently have 1 m and 2 f in my 10g. They like live foods, but do not require them.
And on that note, dozens of species of killifish and oddball livebearers (all poeciliads so I group them together) would be suitable to the tank size, and are not commonly kept in aquaria.

OP
shadowfish

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i like eels,glass cats,knife fish and others on that line,but i can find anything like that that works in a ten gallon tank. great ideas guys keep them coming.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, unfortunately none of those will work

I'd like to also second the Indian Dwarf Puffer! Solely freshwater, adorable, and needs snails and live or frozen foods. Quite cute and definitely an oddball!

OP
shadowfish

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
id love those but they do eat shrimp and my shrimp i just got i dont feel like killing

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DISCLAIMER: these can be hard to find, expensive, and some difficult to care for

*FW dwarf pipefish. I am not a pro on these by any means but I believe there is a small species. Some get too big for a 10G though. I only suggest these because of your live food options.

*fancy dwarf shrimp, ex-crystals, tigers (OEBT - my fav!), etc. Plus you can breed them, and even sell them.

*ADFs - African Dwarf Frogs. Yea, so not uncommon, and not fish. But they are super fun.

*FW gobies - various species

Not all together btw, just individual ideas

Last edited:

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@MJDuti by dwarf pipefish, do you mean armored sticklebacks? Indostomus spp? Like pipefish, they require a nearly constant supply of live food. But there is at least one species that would be fine in a 10 gallon live food culture.

id love those but they do eat shrimp and my shrimp i just got i dont feel like killing
This thread may be moot. Almost all fish will eat shrimp.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Woah, I've never heard or seen of armored sticklebacks before! Interesting fish. By pipefish I mean like the ones for SW, just for FW.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Woah, I've never heard or seen of armored sticklebacks before! Interesting fish. By pipefish I mean like the ones for SW, just for FW.
There is only one pipefish smaller than 6". That wouldn't be suitable for a 10 gallon, as they are ridonkulously sensitive. Pretty as heck, though.

I will probably be getting some armored sticklebacks soon, mostly because I don't have a tank available for the one small species of true pipefish. However, this may be what you're thinking of anyway, as a big trade name for indostomus spp. is "dwarf pipefish" or some similar thing.

Actually indostomus may be worth consideration. I can't say for sure as I don't have any yet, but I'm pretty sure their mouths are too small to eat adult shrimp, though they'd certainly pick off any babies they came across.

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is only one pipefish smaller than 6". That wouldn't be suitable for a 10 gallon, as they are ridonkulously sensitive. Pretty as heck, though.

I will probably be getting some armored sticklebacks soon, mostly because I don't have a tank available for the one small species of true pipefish. However, this may be what you're thinking of anyway, as a big trade name for indostomus spp. is "dwarf pipefish" or some similar thing.

Actually indostomus may be worth consideration. I can't say for sure as I don't have any yet, but I'm pretty sure their mouths are too small to eat adult shrimp, though they'd certainly pick off any babies they came across.
Let me know when you get the Indostomus, as I have them on my wish list. Over the next few years, I am reducing my tanks in number, but changing the size. One of the display tanks will be a 6' nano/blue eye tank.

OP
shadowfish

shadowfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i can get a 5 gallon or something for the shrimp if i have too.it seems the Indostomus do best in groups of 5-6 of the resurch i did.is that too many for a 10 gal?the pipe fish (are you talking about the short tailed river pipefish?)does best in brackish i think and unless its really something i want i dont want to mess with brackish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom