Odd shubunkin / comet ?? with shark tail

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all, I recently added a new goldfish to my pond, a shubunkin or maybe a shubunkin/comet hybrid. It's a rather odd color pattern but also has a rather interesting shaped tail, with the top half being a lot longer than the bottom half.. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this? I'm sure it's fairly common but is it a genetic trait/mutation, or maybe it lost part of it's tail at some stage and it's grown back but not caught up to the rest? Reminds me of a little shark ;) Also, what type of goldfish do you think it is, shubunkin, odd colored comet or a hybrid?

greywhite1.jpg greywhite2.jpg greywhite3.jpg greywhite4.jpg greywhite5.jpg greywhite6.jpg greywhite7.jpg greywhite8.jpg greywhite9.jpg greywhite10.jpg

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow what a cool fish! I wonder what it'll color up like as it ages. That tail is so interesting!

Cryoraptor

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's a very odd (but cool) colouration. Some part of me thinks it's not even a goldfish in the first place, but there's every chance it's just a mutation.

There's also the possibility it's a common/shubunkin mix, and has a tail somewhere in between the two. I have no idea how to explain the colour

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow what a cool fish! I wonder what it'll color up like as it ages. That tail is so interesting!
Thanks :) Yeah I wasn't even looking at the tail when I bought it, I actually just assumed it had part of it's tail torn off until I looked closer and realized it was just like that. I was hesitant on buying it because it was really thin and didn't swim quite right, but in the end I had to take the chance because it was so unusual. Luckily it's done really well and is perfectly healthy now. It actually looks really nice in the pond because you can see the white sides from the top, especially as it's fattened up :)
I think it may get a little bit of orange coloration as it grows (you can just see a little bit of faint orange in the photos), but I'm thinking it will mostly stay white and grey, but you can never tell with goldfish, I'll have to post more pics later down the track ;)

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a very odd (but cool) colouration. Some part of me thinks it's not even a goldfish in the first place, but there's every chance it's just a mutation.

There's also the possibility it's a common/shubunkin mix, and has a tail somewhere in between the two. I have no idea how to explain the colour
Thanks :) I bought it from a mixed tank of comets and shubunkins, so I thought it could well be a hybrid but not really sure, as it's possible the pet shop just mixed them when they got them. I know shubunkins have grey coloration but it looks more like it's under the scales on a normal shubunkin (kinda like black underneath white to give a grey hue), but the grey on this fish is the 'outer color' if you know what I mean. It could well be a mutation too like you said, it's an odd little fish ;)

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like a comet in my uneducated opinion, just since it doesn't have that "blue" background like the shubunkin usually do.
But I also just wanted to say "BABYYYY SHARK! Do do do dooooo"

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like a comet in my uneducated opinion, just since it doesn't have that "blue" background like the shubunkin usually do.
But I also just wanted to say "BABYYYY SHARK! Do do do dooooo"
D@mn you! I had that song in my head all last week lol! :D

Yeah I guess that's what I meant by the normal shubunkins having the thing you call a 'blue background', I see it as kinda like black underneath white, or grey/blue underneath the scales (then they can have black, red and orange markings on the top layer), whereas this fish has a solid grey color on the top of the scales. I thought it looked more like a comet too, apart from the odd color.

Masoud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wow this fish is supercool!:) i also think a shubakin/comet mix,ive seen plenty goldfish with unique kind of tail shape, its completely normal

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does any one know if comet/shubunkin crosses are sterile or can breed? I couldn't really find any info. Thanks :)

Masoud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does any one know if comet/shubunkin crosses are sterile or can breed? I couldn't really find any info. Thanks :)
i dont think there is a general rule of sterility for more common breeds(fantail/comet..)of goldfish

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i dont think there is a general rule of sterility for more common breeds(fantail/comet..)of goldfish
Ok thanks, I just know koi/comet or koi/shubunkin mixes etc are sterile, but haven't heard the same for the more common goldfish types. I imagine they're closely related enough that they wouldn't be sterile, but couldn't find any info.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm fairly certain that the "breeds" of goldfish are all the same Carassius Auratus and can interbreed just like you can cross a labrador and a golden retriever. They are breeds, not different species.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thanks, I just know koi/comet or koi/shubunkin mixes etc are sterile, but haven't heard the same for the more common goldfish types. I imagine they're closely related enough that they wouldn't be sterile, but couldn't find any info.
Yes, because Koi are a different species

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm fairly certain that the "breeds" of goldfish are all the same Carassius Auratus and can interbreed just like you can cross a labrador and a golden retriever. They are breeds, not different species.
Ok thanks, I wasn't too sure if they originated from the same or different (but similar) species, but seems they all originated from the common goldfish after looking up the origins of shubunkins and comets ;)

qldmick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well even is its is a hybrid (unlikely a breeder would be crossing them, unless they came from someone's pond) its still either metallic or nacreous. comets are metallic and shubunkins are nacreous and the one you have is metallic so I would just call it a comet.

all goldfish can breed with each other I had an orange and black (eventually became fully orange) telescope eye nymph (single tailed throwbacks from twin tails) that bred with a calico fantail (the fantail version of a shubunkin). that produced 100% twin tails, with no telescope eyes and about 60% metallic (were all wild coloration) and 40% calico, although they were mostly orange with little white.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well even is its is a hybrid (unlikely a breeder would be crossing them, unless they came from someone's pond) its still either metallic or nacreous. comets are metallic and shubunkins are nacreous and the one you have is metallic so I would just call it a comet.

all goldfish can breed with each other I had an orange and black (eventually became fully orange) telescope eye nymph (single tailed throwbacks from twin tails) that bred with a calico fantail (the fantail version of a shubunkin). that produced 100% twin tails, with no telescope eyes and about 60% metallic (were all wild coloration) and 40% calico, although they were mostly orange with little white.
Thanks, I've never really thought about the metallic or non metallic aspect as I have them in a pond. I'm sure I've seen metallic shubunkins but they must have been crosses. I guess I knew fantails, comets, wakins, commons etc could interbreed, I just wasn't sure about shubunkins as I don't know much about goldfish species in general.

I have one really nice shubunkin that looks more like a koi color wise, but the rest are comets (red & white, white, yellow, orange and white) so I don't mind what this fish actually is :) It will be interesting to see what color the babies turn out to be if it breeds.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To me, it just looks like a commet with an oddly shaped tail which may grow out. Even the colouration, black/brown/bronze is common in baby fish, and in the bast majority, it is lost with age.

Had a telescope eye with the same markings, but was more bronze. Over time, the bronze was lost until it was all white and then slowly faded into a bright orange that is is today.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom