Odd Readings During Fishless Cycle.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kat129, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Kat129Valued MemberMember

Hi.

I am on day 6 of my fishless cycle and was very kindly given a used filter pad by a friend on day 4.

I originally dosed my tank to 4 ppm of ammonnia and that remained steady (although there has possibly been a small drop today - it looks sightly lighter but still not as light as 3ppm).

Nitrites are at 0.5ppm BUT Nitrates are at 10ppm.

I was expecting a noticible drop in ammonnia followed by an increase (then drop) in nitrites and an increase in nitrates. My tank seems to be doing it the wrong way round.

Just wondered if anyone had an idea what is going on?

My tank does have 8 live plants in it - I don't know if that would affect the readings.

Thank you

2. Lindsay83Valued MemberMember

Have you tested your tap water nitrate? It could be that tap water has 10ppm (or close to it) already, so you'll never get below that without RO (reverse osmosis).

The fact that you have nitrite present shows that the "ammonia eating" bacteria are starting to form, but are not quite there in enough numbers to convert all the ammonia into nitrite yet.

Sounds like it's going well to me. :)

3. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

When you use already cycled media from another tank it doesn't take very long to get cycled. Just a few days. So don't be surprised if you get to Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, & Nitrates are positive within the week.

4. Kat129Valued MemberMember

You are right. It is the tap water. Thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice