Odd Question About Combining Chemicals

TucanSam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm unsure if this is the best place to ask this, but for a while now I have been considering finding a lot of little tupperware jars (the ones often used for snacks etc) and combining my Prime, Flourish and Excel in them with dosages for each tank, storing them in the fridge and then pulling them out when it comes time to do water changes. That way I can just dump the correct jar into the corresponding tank without having to re-measure every single dose every single time.

The question is: Would this work? Or would the chemicals harm each other during storage? Anyone have any idea?

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Good luck with input. All I can say is I would worry re: Prime. are you thinking you would just dump it in the tank before or after adding new water? Or adding it to your new water?

As I understood it, it is better to add the Prime direct to your water, before adding the water to the tank vs. adding the water and then throwing the Prime in? That way the Prime makes the water safe and you are adding safe water from the get go? As opposed to maybe some of the chlorine affects your inhabitants before the Prime is thoroughly mixed in?

TucanSam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm. Good luck with input. All I can say is I would worry re: Prime. are you thinking you would just dump it in the tank before or after adding new water? Or adding it to your new water?

As I understood it, it is better to add the Prime direct to your water, before adding the water to the tank vs. adding the water and then throwing the Prime in? That way the Prime makes the water safe and you are adding safe water from the get go? As opposed to maybe some of the chlorine affects your inhabitants before the Prime is thoroughly mixed in?
The way I do water changes is Drain Tank - > Add Prime and fertilizers to tank - > fill tank back up. I've never had issues with chlorine or losing my cycle and as far as I know, as long as you add enough Prime to dose the entire volume of your tank, adding it to the water or to the tank itself doesn't really have much of a difference. Plus I don't use buckets or drums to fill up my tank, just a Python. Never had an issue yet.

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ah nice. Wish mine was that easy. I have to ask - what is the animal on your avatar?

TucanSam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah nice. Wish mine was that easy. I have to ask - what is the animal on your avatar?
It's a Quokka! A small marsupial on an island near Australia! They're worth a google as they are known to give really great selfie's, and have been called the happiest animal on earth.

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
I thought it looked Koala or something-like. Couldn't place it. Thanks! Cute! Will definitely research it!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's a terrible idea. This isn't like mixing vermouth or making a cocktail. You're dealing with chemicals you have no knowledge about, and how combining them will affect their composition. I personally wouldn't risk it. It won't save you that much time, now will it?

TucanSam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a terrible idea. This isn't like mixing vermouth or making a cocktail. You're dealing with chemicals you have no knowledge about, and how combining them will affect their composition. I personally wouldn't risk it. It won't save you that much time, now will it?
In the long run, not really. Though I am filling up a measuring cup with tank water and mixing them up in there beforehand anyway. I'm not worried about the initial mixing, just the long term effects. Just seemed like an interesting way to go about dosing rather than having to measure for each individual tank. Was hoping someone was all chemistry smart here

Top Bottom