Odd looking worm found in aquarium

1. cjwil

cjwil Valued Member Member

I just saw the oddest thing in my 10g freshwater planted tank. I turned on the light and to my surprise There was this extremely thin almost worm-like, translucent thing swimming around the center of my tank like a snake. It was probably less than half an inch long. I immediately scooped it out. Any idea what in the world this could be? Parasite? I'm very freaked out right now.

2. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

It sounds like it may be planaria. Did it's head appear triangular? Can you provide a picture?

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

What do you have in you tank? Fish? Invertebrates?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    cjwil

I currently have 4 guppies, a honey gourami, and a ghost shrimp. I didn't notice a head at all. I didn't give myself a chance to check it out before I scooped it out so I didn't notice a triangle shaped head.

5. AquaticBrandon

I had the same looking thing in my tank a while back. I had boughten some shrimp and plants. I noticed a clear squiggly thing that looked Like a worm in the bag. I didn't know what it was so I just threw the bag away. The next day one of them appeared in my tank and I had thought it was probably a baby ghost shrimp but I wasn't sure. I never saw them again so I'm guessing it had died.

6. OP
    OP
    cjwil

I googled planaria and a few of the photos that weren't super close up looked similar. How in the world do I make sure I kill anything else that may be in there?

7. AquaticBrandon

I searched it up also and it does look similar to what I had seen in my tank. It's weird, I wonder what they do?

8. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

They don't do much of anything other than swim around. They are harmless. They appear when over-feeding occurs. Your fish may eat them, if they come upon them. Cutting back on your feedings will reduce their numbers.

9. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

Planaria are generally introduced into the tank with pond plants, and they shouldn't be confused with detritus worms. Planaria is short, fat, are sometimes a dark color and sometimes they appear to be red. They have a triangular shaped head, whereas detritus worms are long and slender. Planaria are carnivores so precautions should be taken to get them removed from the tank. Detritus worms (as long as there isn't a population explosion) are supposed to be in our tanks and are a healthy part of the tanks little eco system. They generally remain under the substrate where they do their thing and will go unnoticed most of the time.

10. AquaticBrandon

Okay thanks for the info

11. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

99.9% chance it's a detritus worm...

12. OP
    OP
    cjwil

My girlfriend and I both think it looks more like the detritus worm. Even if it is good for my aquarium, I don't want it in there ha. How can I get rid of them? I've still only seen that one but I'm sure there's gotta be more under the gravel. Are they also a result of over feeding?

13. M

Everyone has detritus worms in their tanks. The only way to get rid of them is to completely remove their food source, which means stop feeding your fish.

Normally you should never even see them in the tank, ,but if you are then that means two things; you're over feeding and not keeping up with weekly tank maintenance. The only way to fix that issue is to not feed so much and perform better tank maintenance (gravel vacs).

14. OP
    OP
    cjwil

Well tank maintenance is definitely not the issue however overfeeding could be. I am going to make sure I am feeding less often and appropriate amounts. Thanks for your help.

15. M

When you over feed then the worms over-populate. If you do not perform good weekly maintenance with gravel vacs to remove the food then the food builds up which means no oxygen for the worms. If they cannot breath due to too much mulm from poor gravel vac habits, then they'll go to the surface to breath. If you can visually see detritus worms above the gravel then that's bad.

16. OP
    OP
    cjwil

Pretty much sums up all the research I've done since I've seen it. Thanks for your help :)