Odd Krib behavior

jake37

So i've noticed something new with my kribs the last few days (they have about 15 frys they are still rearing).
-
When I first got the kribs before they paired up they killed off 3 or 4 of my pygmy cory (along with some other fishes). The pygmy cory learned to stay on the tall leaves when resting since the kribs only hunted on the bottom of the tank.

NOW: the pymgy cory have learned they can rest on the substrate right in front of the kribs cave and the kribs will leave them alone (they like resting there since the kribs keep all the other fishes away). My speculation is the kribs have decided that the pymgy are not a threat to them or their youngs so they just pretend they aren't there - is this the case or is something else taking place ?

Mouska

How old are the fry?
The kribensis might think the fry are safer now that they are older and could be less territorial.
My kribensis never attacked any fish while they spawned and raised their fry, possibly because they learned that none of the fish were a threat, which yours could have learned.

jake37

Three weeks. Well the kribs were after the pymgy starting BEFORE they paired up.
-
The kribs still chase away the guppies, tetra, and other fishes. Just not the pymgy, otto and bn.

Mouska said:
How old are the fry?
The kribensis might think the fry are safer now that they are older and could be less territorial.
My kribensis never attacked any fish while they spawned and raised their fry, possibly because they learned that none of the fish were a threat, which yours could have learned.

Mouska

jake37 said:
Three weeks. Well the kribs were after the pymgy starting BEFORE they paired up.
-
The kribs still chase away the guppies, tetra, and other fishes. Just not the pymgy, otto and bn.
Seems like they are only chasing fish away that would eat the babies, they were probably chasing them around because both of the kribensis were guarding there territory against other bottom dwellers, and later got used to their presence.

Top Bottom