Odd Information Being Given On Facebook

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gilques85, Apr 9, 2017.

1. gilques85

gilques85 New Member Member

Ok, so this isn't a situation of my own. But one that i seen on Facebook. A female facebook member was wanting to rehome her 3 Angels because she feels that her 40Gal tall is getting too small for them. Now, there are other members telling her that all 3 Angels are fine in there, and several other members actually said that they've even put up to 8 Angels in a 40Gal.
    Now, I'm still fairly new to this myself, so I didn't want to put my 2 cents in.
    But from all the advice i see on here, I would assume that those members are giving her the wrong info. But then again, I'm not sure what the correct advice would even be.
    Are they correct with the advice they're giving her?
    How would I tell her otherwise, if she is getting wrong info?

It looks like she also has a couple of Platy, Tetras and Cory Cats in there, based off the video. Not 100%sure.

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

8 angels...adults or juveniles? 8 juveniles is fine but when they become adults that is when there will be territorial issues and deaths. If there is a breeding pair there will definitely be deaths if its a 40 gallon tank.

3. OP
    OP
    gilques85

The male that responded to her said he has 10 Angels in his 55Gal, 4 of which are Adults.

Her(the op) 3 looks to be juveniles.

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Relying on facebook to get your fish advice is like shooting yourself in the foot.
    Even relying on information given here on fishlore is not the best idea, the best idea is to always do your own research, ask here on fishlore and other sites, get a lof of points of view and formulate your view on the subject.
    If you want to tell her they are wrong then just post a comment and hope for the best, some people are stubborn and wont believe you, after that you can not do anything.

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I'd think you're limited to 1 angel or a confirmed mated pair in a 40 gallon.

The other fish probably aren't compatible. Platy's, for one, like slightly cooler water than angels (subtropical). Some species of tetra's do as well, although some tetra's also enjoy tropical temps. Same thing with corys.

Sounds like a tank with stocking issues, but not entirely horrible stocking, imo.

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I think there are a lot of variables to consider ( age of Angels, size, male/females, etc )
    I think there are a lot of black and white on this as well as stockings of other fish. For me, I think every situation is unique and there isn't a fast hard rule. It's mostly guidelines and from there you have to make a decision based on research and behavior of the fish, etc.

I don't like to get in to the, "You are overstocked" conversation unless the fish are in a dire situation and there is no other possible alternative.
    Not every one is educated on fishkeeping and or able to go out and buy a new tank just because someone says they are overstocked. That being said, its probably just better manners to stay out of the conversation altogether.

7. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree, however Fishlore is one of the best forums since we care more for the fish :) However since this is a forum there are also many beginners who also give advice that isn't the best or accurate :).

However we do strive to help you in your research :). In fact many times when I ask a question or other people we post links to different websites to back what we are saying or give you options of what someone else did!

8. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

I have seen some really bad info on various facebook pages about fish, also have seen some good ones too.

9. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Seeking advice on Facebook is just like looking on different web pages for info; some are good, some are not so good, but it's always a good idea to get a few second opinions to be sure:)

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I've seen some bad information given on my local facebook groups, usually by inexperienced people with very little time in the hobby and lots of problems in their tanks (aggression issues, deaths, illness, etc.). I'm not involved in giving advice on FB; usually too much drama there.

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged

12. OP
    OP
    gilques85

Awesome thank you. My apologises for my signal causing that.

13. OP
    OP
    gilques85

Totally agree. I'm only in those facebook groups for the photos.
    But I come here for all my advice and info. I've learned some valuable info.
    So I thought I'd ask here, for that facebook users specific issue.
    But yeah, I'll stay out of their topic. Since so many have told her not to sell her Angels, she said she's going to keep them.

14. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can get involved if you want, but don't expect them to follow your advice :( Maybe she will though!

15. OP
    OP
    gilques85

Here's her post. I've blocked her name for her privacy. Yeah, I'm not experienced enough to get involved lol. Just wanted some opinions to expand my understanding on these situations. Looks like she has the right intentions though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice