Odd happenings in my betta tank

BettaBabe00

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok it all started about two weeks ago. My Betta had a cut in his dorsal fin and a large gash on his side. I had been fighting nitrates before this and had given him a 85% water change. The Nitrates were around 40 maybe just a touch lower. I went and took out most of his artificial plants thinking this was the trouble. I then used some Tetra Lifeguard for his wounds. They healed up quickly and I thought everything was fine except I was still battling the Nitrates in my tank. Suddenly 3 days after treatment and a water change, new filter, new hide because I didn't know what caused the cuts, he grew a large white/green splotch on his back and his dorsal was literally gone expect for a small portion. He wouldn't eat and just laid in his hammock. I gave him a good look over and I thought his eyes weren't looking so great a bit popeyed. So I am now treating his tank with Maracyn 2 and he has improved by eating and being more active, but the whiteness that had started growing on him is now turning pinkish and I don't know what to think. I'm not 100 % sure its popeye either.
My water parameters are normal except for a slightly high Nitrate. The last time I checked it was right before I medicated the tank that was 4 days ago and it was a little lighter than 20. I also added Seachums De Nitrate to my canister filter. So I think was just below 20 but still higher than 10. Have I misdiagnosed my fish ? What is your opinion of Maracyn 2 ? And last but not least if it's not body rot and or popeye what IS wrong with fish?

Sauceboat

Reaction score
This is really interesting. Not sure about the splotch on him… but the fact that it is growing is definitely concerning. As far as the cut on the dorsal fin, did the dorsal disappear along the line of the cut? My betta cut his tail fin and practically over night everything on the line of the cut decayed away. It healed within a few months and a bit of antibacterial to ward of fin rot. If it vanished along the line of the cut I’d say his decay in the dorsal fin was related to that. Pretty sure it happens because the cut cuts off circulation to the tips of the fin and without blood flow the delicate fins just rot away.

OP
BettaBabe00

BettaBabe00

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The dorsal was cut on the vertical so I'm not really sure. He had split it into two separate pieces but once it disappeared that line was horizontal...idk

OP
BettaBabe00

BettaBabe00

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The last pic is something that has collected in the water since adding the meds that he is still currently taking. I'm not sure if it is medicine or what...it did turn the water murky. The white area at the base of his tail was the area in question. This morning it was pinkish. Now it doesn't appear to be so much so. From the beginning it wrapped over his back and down his other side, but it was more of a splotch 4 days ago. He is a black and blue green betta. Mostly black. His long fins in the front have always been redish with blue tips. Thanks.

Attachments

New Threads