Odd guppy behavior?

KArrow

Hi everyone!

I've got 5 Guppies and 4 Mollys, all males, in a 36 gallon tank. (Going to get more, but can't right now. Hooray for shutdowns!) I've only been keeping fish for about three months now, so I'm still figuring out a lot of stuff!

One of my guppies acts differently to what I'd expect, and one of the Mollys hates him. Everyone else is schooling in their two groups, being chill doing what fish do with no aggression or issues whatsoever. But this one guppy won't school with the others, and instead schools with the Mollys!
Three of the Mollys couldn't care less, but one is constantly chasing off the guppy and nipping at him. This idiot guppy keep going right on back to the group, and I swear I see him antagonizing that Molly. I regularly see the two zipping full speed around the tank, Molly after the guppy, stopping when the guppy hides away in the plants. He doesn't stay hiding, soon as that Molly goes away he's swimming right back up to the group. Rinse and repeat. The only time they ignore each other is when there's food.
I keep a close eye on his fins, and so far I've only noticed an occasional tear or two that heal up pretty quickly. No chunks missing or anything. So they aren't ripping each other to shreds.
And the other guppies don't have any issues with him, nor he with them, it's just that one Molly who's got a beef.

He's acted this way since I got him, but I guess since I'm stuck at home I'm watching them more so it got me curious.
Do you think this is a problem?
Or do I just have a guppy with an identity crisis and it's cool for me to just say you do you little dude?
I worry that they're stressing each other out too much. I wouldn't have any idea on how to fix it though, if I needed to.

Thanks!
-Kai

neverenoughgallons

Hi everyone!

I've got 5 Guppies and 4 Mollys, all males, in a 36 gallon tank. (Going to get more, but can't right now. Hooray for shutdowns!) I've only been keeping fish for about three months now, so I'm still figuring out a lot of stuff!

One of my guppies acts differently to what I'd expect, and one of the Mollys hates him. Everyone else is schooling in their two groups, being chill doing what fish do with no aggression or issues whatsoever. But this one guppy won't school with the others, and instead schools with the Mollys!
Three of the Mollys couldn't care less, but one is constantly chasing off the guppy and nipping at him. This idiot guppy keep going right on back to the group, and I swear I see him antagonizing that Molly. I regularly see the two zipping full speed around the tank, Molly after the guppy, stopping when the guppy hides away in the plants. He doesn't stay hiding, soon as that Molly goes away he's swimming right back up to the group. Rinse and repeat. The only time they ignore each other is when there's food.
I keep a close eye on his fins, and so far I've only noticed an occasional tear or two that heal up pretty quickly. No chunks missing or anything. So they aren't ripping each other to shreds.
And the other guppies don't have any issues with him, nor he with them, it's just that one Molly who's got a beef.

He's acted this way since I got him, but I guess since I'm stuck at home I'm watching them more so it got me curious.
Or do I just have a guppy with an identity crisis and it's cool for me to just say you do you little dude?
I worry that they're stressing each other out too much. I wouldn't have any idea on how to fix it though, if I needed to.

Thanks!
-Kai
First of all you can. Corporate pet stores are still open. Your lack of females could be the cause. Might be your tank size, causing a lack of space/territory.

MegtheDog

Just wondering, has you fish been acting odd other than that? As in, moving around more than normal, begging for food, or eating things he usually wouldn't? I'm wondering since my guppy was displaying odd behaviors before she died from eating snails (the snail shells got stuck in her digestive system I believe) she wasn't schooling with the other fish in the tank like yours was, but, I'm trying to figure out the mystery of her odd behavior.

Gone

I've had several aggressive guppies over the years. I tried many things, but the only thing that ever worked was removing the offender.

SavTheArtist

Hi everyone!

Thanks!
-Kai
Just a heads up- male mollies should not be kept in male-only groups.

It stresses them out and causes fighting, they'll eventually kill each other. This is due to the lack of females, and therefore, something to chase and mate with.

Guppies are fine with all-male groups, but not mollies, IME. They only fight.

KArrow

Just a heads up- male mollies should not be kept in male-only groups.

It stresses them out and causes fighting, they'll eventually kill each other. This is due to the lack of females, and therefore, something to chase and mate with.

Guppies are fine with all-male groups, but not mollies, IME. They only fight.
Thanks for the info! I'll add a few females to the bunch. I haven't noticed any fighting, but if it'll make them happier then.
Any suggestions on what to do with all the fry? I know most of them will get eaten, but I'm sure I'll still be drowning in teeny little mollies pretty quickly.

SavTheArtist

Thanks for the info! I'll add a few females to the bunch. I haven't noticed any fighting, but if it'll make them happier then.
Any suggestions on what to do with all the fry? I know most of them will get eaten, but I'm sure I'll still be drowning in teeny little mollies pretty quickly.
Heads up- the recommended ratio is 1 male to 3-4 females. It would be best if you only kept one male, or else you'll need A LOT of mollies hilarious

Most fry will be eaten. I breed mollies, and I can surely say, if you don't catch the babies, barely any survive. For the ones that do survive, some LFS's will trade them in for store credit! Or good 'ol Petco accepts donations. You can always just donate them, I've never heard of a fish store that declined free fish

If you're up to the task, you could always try and sell them on here! The BSTF forum has a pretty good market

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Abrookesi
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • cowboykidd
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
cowboykidd
Replies