Odd Guppy Behavior Before Death

MegtheDog

My guppy had her third brood of babies on Thursday two weeks ago. She was acting strangely like she was stressed. I moved her out of the aquarium since I could only see a couple of her new babies. She was in with her second brood of babies. The original size of brood two was 21, but the babies got eaten by other fish or died, so the number dropped to 10. Brood 3 had 15-17 babies, but the number dropped to 5 and now currently 4 since one died a couple days ago (well it vanished so I assume it died). They were in a well filtered and partially planted 5 gallon aquarium with a pebbled bottom and two hides. There are plenty of snails in there to eat away at algae that grew on the sides of the tank. I was feeding her more than usual since she had 10+ babies in there. This was all temporary for her.

She was acting strangely so I moved her up to her usual home in a 10 gallon aquarium where she was housed with a Dwarf Blue Gurami and 3 neon tetras. I have found that Juniper (the guppy) is a gold red 'fancy' guppy. When I put Juniper in the aquarium I noticed her colors had paled to a quite concerning pale yellow. I thought it may have just been the lighting, but her color didn't return even after two weeks.

She was ravenous, constantly hungry, as many snails as she could fit in her mouth to the point where I could probably count the number of adult snails in my aquarium (the snails are descendants of pest snails I got at my local pet store, so the are pretty small). If anyone walked into the room and she saw them, she would rush to the top of the tank to be fed, if she didn't get fed she would speed around the tank. She had inflated like she was gravid, but her gravid spot was tiny, getting closer and closer to becoming invisible. She died yesterday, presumably from the snail shells stuck in her organs, the day before she had lost all will to move and would lay on the bottom of the tank. This was the opposite of her regular personality, she was a confident fish with high maternal instincts, she loved to boss around the other fish.

I have no idea what wire snapped in her head, she lost her marbles! I'm wondering if anyone know what could have happened because I can't find anything on mental illness for guppies, or possible illnesses that would cause a fish to go crazy. I need to know since I am planning on keeping two of her remaining fry for the 10 gallon aquarium and I don't want this to happen again. I know this isn't a water or tank issue since none of the other fish are acting weird. I also was not planning on breeding Juniper, I bought her from my local pet store, I bought her gravid in the hopes of seeing baby guppies. The babies are inbred since the suppliers are total butts about separating male fish from female fish, especially in broods. Two of the current babies have spine/tail issues, and the first brood had three or four with issues. Please ask any questions or let me know of any ideas, suggestions, or information that could help identify the cause. Also if you have had a fish with similar issues, please let me know and maybe we can figure this out together!

EmbersToAshes

She may have had parasites, causing her to not absorb much of the nutrition she ate. However, I have seen fish eat whole snails and suffer blockages due to the shells. I have only seen this happen in different catfish species though. I just had to pull a MTS shell out of the vent of my Striped Raphael Catfish that he couldn't pass. After I pulled it he passed two more smaller shells.

As far as mental disease goes I have only seen bettas behave similarly when they are overly bored. Maybe you should avoid keeping the guppies alone as "freinds" may provide more mental stimulation for them.

Upvote 0

MegtheDog

She may have had parasites, causing her to not absorb much of the nutrition she ate. However, I have seen fish eat whole snails and suffer blockages due to the shells. I have only seen this happen in different catfish species though. I just had to pull a MTS shell out of the vent of my Striped Raphael Catfish that he couldn't pass. After I pulled it he passed two more smaller shells.

As far as mental disease goes I have only seen bettas behave similarly when they are overly bored. Maybe you should avoid keeping the guppies alone as "freinds" may provide more mental stimulation for them.
That's interesting to think about, I will be having a pair of guppies next, maybe she didn't want to be friends with the neon tetras anymore... thank you though, for your information, it is all being put into consideration and used in further observations of guppies.

Upvote 0

Gone

I know this isn't a water or tank issue since none of the other fish are acting weird.

The babies are inbred since the suppliers are total butts about separating male fish from female fish, especially in broods.

Two of the current babies have spine/tail issues, and the first brood had three or four with issues.

Don't be too quick to blow off the possibility of water problems. Whenever I have a problem in my tanks, I assume it's something I did wrong. The first thing I do is test, then I do a water change no matter what the test readings are. If you just assume there's nothing wrong with the water, you could easily miss things.

All fancy guppies are inbred, whether the suppliers are butts or not doesn't make any difference. All the colorful patterns and big fins are mutations from the original wild type guppy. If you let them randomly breed you'll end up with smaller, much less colorful fish when they revert to the wild type. Fancy guppies require selective breeding to maintain their traits, which is inbreeding.

Guppies do need to be outcrossed once in a while to be healthy, or they will start to produce bent spines and other genetic defects.

I would avoid projecting human emotions or instincts onto a fish, like "bored" or "mentally ill" or "confident." Try to eliminate distractions from solving the problems.

Upvote 0

MegtheDog

Don't be too quick to blow off the possibility of water problems. Whenever I have a problem in my tanks, I assume it's something I did wrong. The first thing I do is test, then I do a water change no matter what the test readings are. If you just assume there's nothing wrong with the water, you could easily miss things.

All fancy guppies are inbred, whether the suppliers are butts or not doesn't make any difference. All the colorful patterns and big fins are mutations from the original wild type guppy. If you let them randomly breed you'll end up with smaller, much less colorful fish when they revert to the wild type. Fancy guppies require selective breeding to maintain their traits, which is inbreeding.

Guppies do need to be outcrossed once in a while to be healthy, or they will start to produce bent spines and other genetic defects.

I would avoid projecting human emotions or instincts onto a fish, like "bored" or "mentally ill" or "confident." Try to eliminate distractions from solving the problems.
I have checked the water, everything was fine (just needed a little PHup), and wouldn't the other fish behave oddly if there was something in the water?

Upvote 0

Gone

I'd need to know exactly what your test readings are, and what kind of test kit you're using. If you're using test strips, they're notorious for being unreliable. The most popular test kit is the API Master Test Kit, which tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It won't tell you "bad," or, "good," it will give you data to help determine what the problem might be, along with frequency and volume of water changes, stocking levels, and whether the fish are overfed.

It's possible it's a one-off with your fish, but it's very common for a fish to show symptoms of a disease, while all the other fish look just fine, then a week later another goes down, then another, then another. The fact that fish look fine does not mean the water parameters are good. They can seem just fine and it looks like the crashed all at once, when in reality they were in a weakened state for some time.

Upvote 0

MegtheDog

That's very true, you are right, I am medicating the water since the fish look like they may have a fungal disease. I will be keeping an eye on them, thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • CastleGrayskull
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Pregnant Guppy Advice
  • TheDumboTrio
  • Guppy