Odd Growth On Gourami's Jaw Help

1. RaptorBoy02

RaptorBoy02 Initiate Member

So I have this dwarf gourami I purchased about a month ago, and I quickly realized he had internal parasite problems. I've been treating him, but I just noticed yesterday that this weird red spot started to grow on the right side of his jaw. Does anyone know what this is, and more importantly, how can it be treated?
    Rureyml.jpg
    O8GIzm2.jpg
    Oh and first post, I'm new to the forums (been in the hobby for a few years though!). Yay!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore sorry a problem has brought you here, hope you get some responses today

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I am afraid these red ulcers are a sign of Dwarf Gourami Disease of which we have had hundreds of cases the past years.

The gourami itself seems to be in great shape though so I am hoping I am wrong.

4. OP
    OP
    RaptorBoy02

Thanks for the help, I'll update if he acts any different. He's beginning to eat less, in fact I don't think he's eaten in the past 2 days. This might be a result of the swelling though more than an indication of the disease. He still swims freely.

5. OP
    OP
    RaptorBoy02

His lip is swelling more, his mouth is stuck open now. A new swelling has appeared between his left eye and gills. Still swimming and eating. His platy tankmates appear healthy and unaffected.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Member Member

If it's spreading I fear it is dwarf gourami disease but maybe someone with more experience can confirm or have other ideas.

7. DoubleDutch

Pretty sure it is.

8. ASHLEY R COOK

9. OP
    OP
    RaptorBoy02

Well, thanks for the help folks. I'll let you know if any miracles occur.

10. OP
    OP
    RaptorBoy02

I have a side question, would it be okay to add other fish to the tank? Since DGD is supposed to only affect dwarf gouramis I thought maybe it'd be safe, but maybe I shouldn't take the risk.

11. ASHLEY R COOK

Don't risk it

12. DoubleDutch

Point is that DGD (the virus).only causes the immune system to open. The symptoms are caused all kind of other infections (mostly by bacteria that CAN cause these infections in all kinds of fishspecies).

Personally I don't think they will as long as the other fish are healthy amd have a normal immunesystem. But agree to not take that risk as long as the DG is in.

13. OP
    OP
    RaptorBoy02

So I walked into the room to see he died this morning. I'll probably give it a week or so before adding anything new.

14. ASHLEY R COOK

Aww. Sorry about your loss.

15. DoubleDutch

sorrry to hear mate