Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Odd Grey Splotch, Need Help In Diagnosing Female Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Missylafay, May 16, 2019.

1. Missylafay New Member Member

Hi all,
    One of my 2yr old female bettas developed a light splotch around her eye in Feb. Even though it wasnt/isnt fuzzy or really fungus looking I treated with Jungle fungus and Api fungus clear with no results. Shes acting normally but it is slowly spreading now to almost half her face (see pics). I havent encountered fungal infections very often, thankfully, and I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help diagnose or suggest a med? I'd be very grateful. Thanks all.
    P.s. I'm aware of her internal tumor( lump) on side.

Attached Files:

2. DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

it isn't fungal, treat for bacterial. Try using maracyn. Or an other medications that say these treat for gram positive bacterial infections.

3. Missylafay New Member Member

Hi Dutch,
    Why would you think bacterial? And why gram pos?

4. DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Just from experience, it looks bacterial. I don't want to specify one specific disease without really knowing which one. I can tell you this isn't fungal though. Gram positive bacterial infections are the most common and I have suspicions that this is one of them. And without doing any tests, sometimes you just have to make the best guess.

5. Missylafay New Member Member

I believe gram neg are more common
    (Pseudomonas, aeromonas, vibrio) but after you mentioned bacterial I'm leaning in that direction also. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to treat her with, I have an arsenal of meds but kinda lost with this one. Any suggestions I'm open.

6. DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Yes, your correct with the gram neg more common, my miswrite. Columnaris which is appears similar to is gram negative. might not be columnaris though.

7. Missylafay New Member Member

Jesus dont scare me on columnaris. Ok weirdly I dosed her with maracyn 2 and it seems like the area became " fuzzy" for the first time. Idk if its sloughing off or got worse from the maracyn.