Odd Goldfish

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking to see if anyone can give me any information about this comet goldfish I have. I know this eye type is common in some of the fancier types of goldfish but I'm having trouble finding it in the more common comet type. The first couple of pictures where he has black coloring are from when I first found him in November. The last two pictures are ones I took March 25.

Sorry the pictures are blurry, he doesnt really sit still for long.

MaddieTaylah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is possible to have a single tail telescope goldfish. It is likely the result of inbreeding.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MaddieTaylah said:
It is possible to have a single tail telescope goldfish. It is likely the result of inbreeding.
Agree, I see them a lot here, but mostly plain gold or black. I've found ANY goldfish that has those black markings over gold will soon lose all the black color though -I have no idea why it happens, but it always does.

I forgot to say he's very cute

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most black goldfish have it from being young, they lose it as they grow - i have a six inch gold (he is hard to measure) fish that was the color of the picture above, now he is a stunning red gold with two dark dots on his forehead. I've not seen one like this before so i'd go with the above statements, i was just chiming in for the loss of black reason.

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I figured as much with the loss of black, I've heard that there aren't many true black patched goldfish. I actually forgot he had originally been black until I went to find the pictures of him when I first saw him. I was more intrigued by his eyes. I wasnt sure if the common/comets could breed with the more fancy versions.

He is most likely not the best in genetics since he is a "feeder" fish from Petsmart. I have never seen one with big eyes like that so I had to take him home. Hopefully in the next year or two I can either get him into a better tank or get him a new home with a pond.

I also agree he is pretty cute = ) I wasn't planning for a goldfish but I couldn't leave a unique individual to that fate.

Thank you everyone who has posted thus far.

yasha

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MaddieTaylah said:
I'd say you're right about it being a single tail telescope goldfish. It doesn't really have to be from inbreeding tho. Goldfish don't breed true and can throw some odd balls. So I'd just say hes a little telescope nymph. He likely could stay the size of a normal telescope and be treated/housed like one tho he maybe fast because of the single tail.
Nymph (goldfish) - encyclopedia article - Citizendium

Another option is he is a mix breed of a telescope and common/comet. Like dogs all the types are the same breed dog, in this case all goldfish types are goldfish. He doesn't have as much of the fancy body type by the look of the picture(i very well could just not be seeing it) so I wouldn't rule this out and if this is the case he may stay the size of a fancy or get to the size of a common, maybe somewhere in middle of both.

Mine did come from a fantail tank. Your guy is lucky you got him out of the feeder tank. My stores here wouldn't have. Seems like your also caring for him well he looks like a lot healthier fish in the last 2 pic.

Here is my fantail nymph. You can maybe see how he is rounder then a common.

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yasha said:
I'd say you're right about it being a single tail telescope goldfish. It doesn't really have to be from inbreeding tho. Goldfish don't breed true and can throw some odd balls. So I'd just say hes a little telescope nymph. He likely could stay the size of a normal telescope and be treated/housed like one tho he maybe fast because of the single tail.
Nymph (goldfish) - encyclopedia article - Citizendium

Another option is he is a mix breed of a telescope and common/comet. Like dogs all the types are the same breed dog, in this case all goldfish types are goldfish. He doesn't have as much of the fancy body type by the look of the picture(i very well could just not be seeing it) so I wouldn't rule this out and if this is the case he may stay the size of a fancy or get to the size of a common, maybe somewhere in middle of both.

Mine did come from a fantail tank. Your guy is lucky you got him out of the feeder tank. My stores here wouldn't have. Seems like your also caring for him well he looks like a lot healthier fish in the last 2 pic.

Here is my fantail nymph. You can maybe see how he is rounder then a common.
Single tail telescope he shall now be referenced as = )
Pretty much he has the typical comet/common goldfish body shape. The only thing that set him apart was the eyes. I've seen tons of comets but never one with the telescope eyes. If I knew more about breeding and had the right tank for it I'd see if its something that could be duplicated but just b/c I think something is cute doesn't mean other people would.

I was the one to pull him out of the feeders. I know my tank is far from ideal for him and the other fish are probably mad about him but it was either I take him home or he gets eaten/thrown into a bowl with no filter. So far everyone seems to be adjusting just fine and my hope is this is just a temporary setup. I'm glad he is looking healthy though, thanks.

How old is the one in the picture you linked?

yasha

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alhana said:
Single tail telescope he shall now be referenced as = )
Pretty much he has the typical comet/common goldfish body shape. The only thing that set him apart was the eyes. I've seen tons of comets but never one with the telescope eyes. If I knew more about breeding and had the right tank for it I'd see if its something that could be duplicated but just b/c I think something is cute doesn't mean other people would.

I was the one to pull him out of the feeders. I know my tank is far from ideal for him and the other fish are probably mad about him but it was either I take him home or he gets eaten/thrown into a bowl with no filter. So far everyone seems to be adjusting just fine and my hope is this is just a temporary setup. I'm glad he is looking healthy though, thanks.

How old is the one in the picture you linked?
Didn't get in trouble for taken him out of the feeder tank yourself? Every time there having a hard time catching a fish for me I offer to help and they never let me. As to your other fish tell them they should just try to be happy to help there new little friend lol.

Picture is about a month and a half ago. I've had him/her for about 5 months. Was a smaller baby when I got him. (S)he isn't the fastest grower but is growing would say about doubled in size. Was 8 grams when I took the picture.

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yasha said:
Didn't get in trouble for taken him out of the feeder tank yourself? Every time there having a hard time catching a fish for me I offer to help and they never let me. As to your other fish tell them they should just try to be happy to help there new little friend lol.

Picture is about a month and a half ago. I've had him/her for about 5 months. Was a smaller baby when I got him. (S)he isn't the fastest grower but is growing would say about doubled in size. Was 8 grams when I took the picture.
Well (this will probably make me loose all my cool points but...) I work there part time so its part of my job. I was scrubbing algae in my "pet" feeder tank when I saw him and scooped when I was done. I pick a couple of the tanks as my own "pet project" tanks and work really hard to keep them looking nice. I only work a couple days a week though so its not very many.

I usually let people net out some of the harder to catch/easier to get caught fish themselves if it seems like they know what they are doing and like you said, they ask. Most of the time I have better skills though cause I've done it longer. Now if only I could get each customer to do an hour of research before getting a tank, then my job would be easy.

yasha

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alhana said:
Well (this will probably make me loose all my cool points but...) I work there part time so its part of my job. I was scrubbing algae in my "pet" feeder tank when I saw him and scooped when I was done. I pick a couple of the tanks as my own "pet project" tanks and work really hard to keep them looking nice. I only work a couple days a week though so its not very many.
I don't think it should make you lose cool points. It's a lot better if the person working with the pets know about then. At least you can make some better recommendations. Unlike a lot of the People I have dealt with. Most of which thank me fore informing them not knowing anything. Then there's a few that act like they know what there talking about but spit out stuff like don't do water changed to get rid of nitrate and water changes are bad just to name a few. I could go on for a long time shaking my head at stuff I heard. More people like you should work with the pets being sold. So many people ask for help only to try to say well I don't care what the forum says because this is what the store says. The store should have knowledgeable people or just say they really don't have a idea. False info is worse then no info.

All that being said I personally couldn't do it I'd want to take everyone home lol.

Alhana said:
I usually let people net out some of the harder to catch/easier to get caught fish themselves if it seems like they know what they are doing and like you said, they ask. Most of the time I have better skills though cause I've done it longer. Now if only I could get each customer to do an hour of research before getting a tank, then my job would be easy.
If you can get it done quickly then yea no problem better to you do it. I've had people catch some fish so fast its like the fish wanted to come home. I've also had someone tank half a hour to catch a fish not willing to let me help just to call someone else over to catch them that wasn't much better. The whole time I'm just like I can catch them at home in a tank 3 times this with plants in half the time. Why not make it easier on everyone. Sadly the fish ended up dying and I think the stress of being chased around the tank for that long is what did it. Not saying I don't understand why they don't let just anyone that says they want to the opportunity to try catching there fish it could go wrong so fully understandable to turn me down. Be if I sound to know what I'm doing and you for the life or you can't let me try over scaring the poor fish.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes you find the best fish in feeder tanks imo, they're usually hardier and often genetically interesting too as they've just been in with mixed fish, so could be an interesting mix of anything really I once got a tiny (but fully grown / mature) pale yellow platy from a feeder tank (that's actually him in my avatar pic lol), and decided to breed him with my swordtails. I ended up getting guppy sized full grown swordtails that lived a lot longer than their normal lifespan To this day, my swordtails still carry some of those genes.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alhana said:
Now if only I could get each customer to do an hour of research before getting a tank, then my job would be easy.
I think it takes a lot longer than an hour to research fish and fishkeeping
but it would be better than nothing

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BottomDweller said:
I think it takes a lot longer than an hour to research fish and fishkeeping
but it would be better than nothing
Oh I agree 200% but most people do none, nada, zip, zilch. If they had done at least an hour I wouldnt have to say 300 times a day that "no you cant put 3 feeder goldfish in your 1gallon bowl, really there arent any I can recommend for that." I REALLY hate when the carnivals are in town and I can't even count the amount of times I've been yelled at b/c I refuse to individually bag 30 fish for some kids birthday party.

allllien said:
Sometimes you find the best fish in feeder tanks imo, they're usually hardier and often genetically interesting too as they've just been in with mixed fish, so could be an interesting mix of anything really I once got a tiny (but fully grown / mature) pale yellow platy from a feeder tank (that's actually him in my avatar pic lol), and decided to breed him with my swordtails. I ended up getting guppy sized full grown swordtails that lived a lot longer than their normal lifespan To this day, my swordtails still carry some of those genes.
That is a pretty neat find! I dont think I've found any platy in the feeder tanks. Usually I find crayfish, tadpoles and the odd baby blue gill or something similar to that. Now I'm going to have to be on the lookout for some platy! I think I need a new tank for all my odd collection fish if I find a full grown platy in there. I think I have a baby platy in my tank, really not sure what it is since when it was small I originally thought it was a guppy fry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom