Odd Golden Wonder Killifish Behavior Question

1. clinrw Initiate Member

Occasionally my golden wonder killie will go down to the bottom of my tank, and darken his/her scales to a brownish color, hide among some of the plants, and just hover facing the top of the tank for more than 5 minutes at a time. I took a picture of this behavior just now:

20170710_192228.jpg

This happens randomly, and doesn't seem to be related to time since a water change or the water quality. It almost looks like hiding, but none of the other fish go to the top of the water unless it's feeding time, and this never happens around feeding time, so I don't think it's a bullying issue.

I'm just stumped and very curious, so if anyone has an idea of what type of behavior this is, please let me know

2. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

No idea. If he is not sick, it seems he is hiding. Some fish darken and get a mottled look if they are stressed. Add some floating plants if you don't have any. They like cover.

3. clinrw Initiate Member

Yeah, my first thought was that he was stressed, and I used to have a bunch of duckweed in the tank as cover, but he still did this.

I've had this guy for around almost 3-4 years now, and he's really only been doing this for the past 6 months (at most). I know most places say that the lifespan for this species is around 3 years, so could it just be that he's getting old and more easily stressed because of that?

4. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I don't know. Maybe @chromedome52 or @NavigatorBlack could help.