Odd Disease Killed 2 Rams And 1 Angel. Help Please Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by TommyD11730, Apr 16, 2019.

1. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

Hey Guys, quick backstory .

30G Planted tank w/CO2. Housed 2 Angels and small schooling tetras. Have lived in harmony for better then a year. I do my weekly water changes and keep an eye on things.

So a couple of Months back I purchase a pair of Rams from the LFS. Within 3 days they spawned in the tank (ate the eggs a few days later). I was getting ready for a 2nd spawn (a week later) when the male Ram died. Symptoms were rapid breathing, slight color loss and refusal to eat. He went fast, in about 24 hours. The female Ram did just fine for about 2 maybe 3 weeks when the same thing happened to her, "poof" gone in 24 hrs.

Thinking I just got a pair of "bad" fish I took no actions.

Maybe a couple more weeks goes by and my male angel begins the rapid breathing and refusal to eat. I moved him immediately into a quarantine tank. 15G cycled sponge bare bottom with a temp around 82. I added Salt and API General Cure and   to the tank. 24 hrs into the quarantine I offered brine shrimp that he refused. I added 1/2 the recommended dose of meds the 2nd day and within a hour the Angel was dead. shame as in death this guy was better looking then 99% of the fish in LFS.

Anyways I'm open to suggestions as to what I might be dealing with. Whatever it is it hits hard and fast and is lethal.

Thanks

2. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Rapid breathing suggest gill infestation .Could be flukes or any number of parasites .
    Praziquantel for flukes is usually dosed 1 time for 5 days and then repeated.
    I would use something like Rid Ich or other parasite med with formalin and malachite green also .
    The quick death is suspicious of bacterial issue .

3. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

What's your water source? Don't use erythromycin. It's not absorbed from water and rarely has any effect on the bacteria that infect fish.

4. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

My fear (aside from further fish death) is blowing my cycle or killing my plants. Will Praziquantel or Ich meds do either?

Any thoughts on why the long time frame between each fish becoming sick? Or perhaps the fish are sick and it just takes that long before they exhibit symptoms?

Thank you.

5. TommyD11730Valued MemberMember

I source all my aquarium water (4 tanks) from the tap "city water".

6. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I think it’s something in the water. My suggestion is a uv sterilizer. Won’t help sick fish but will stop it from spreading. Uv will kill whatever is in the water so it doesn’t reach other fish.