Odd dent in Cockatoos head

Chewbroccoli

Hello,

I have noticed a dent in behind the right side eye of my cockatoo Cichlid. It does not seem to bother him but I am wondering what has caused it. I know of hole in head but I have looked online and I can't seem to find anything that matches it. Maybe it might be a bacterial issue? I posted some pictures as a reference

The only other thing I have noticed is he is flicking himself off the plants in the tank. He does not do this very often though (might be just an itch).

Attachments

• 20220307_131812.jpg
    20220307_131812.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220304_121834.jpg
    20220304_121834.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220304_121716.jpg
    20220304_121716.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 15

SkyShamen1

Hello,

I have noticed a dent in behind the right side eye of my cockatoo Cichlid. It does not seem to bother him but I am wondering what has caused it. I know of hole in head but I have looked online and I can't seem to find anything that matches it. Maybe it might be a bacterial issue? I posted some pictures as a reference

The only other thing I have noticed is he is flicking himself off the plants in the tank. He does not do this very often though (might be just an itch).
I think it might be velvet since you said he is flicking himself off the plants if there are signs of rednes in his body than its velvet

MacZ

I think it might be velvet since you said he is flicking himself off the plants if there are signs of rednes in his body than its velvet
Oodinium shows in a velvety golden sheen. I don't think here is any disease or parasite involved.

Dwarf cichlids scratch themselves from time to time. That's normal, even in perfectly healthy specimens. For example after getting into a cloud of mulm or if egg shells of brine shrimp eggs get stuck in the gills.
A dent behind the eye is seen often in this domestic strain. The fish often have deformities due to genetic damages caused by inbreeding. This here looks like it.

Chewbroccoli

Oodinium shows in a velvety golden sheen. I don't think here is any disease or parasite involved.

Dwarf cichlids scratch themselves from time to time. That's normal, even in perfectly healthy specimens. For example after getting into a cloud of mulm or if egg shells of brine shrimp eggs get stuck in the gills.
A dent behind the eye is seen often in this domestic strain. The fish often have deformities due to genetic damages caused by inbreeding. This here looks like it.
I actually considering this as well. He is actually pretty healthy otherwise and has a strong appetite and has the tank to himself really. No other visual signs on him.
I actually considering this as well. He is actually pretty healthy otherwise and has a strong appetite and has the tank to himself really. No other visual signs on him.
I raised it as it was not there before and has now shown up. But it might have been progressive so I just did not notice it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
LuxuriantTen
Replies
Views
platy ben
Replies
Views