Odd Cory Behavior?

Alisha Stephens
I'm a new member and still figuring things out on here. Here is a backstory for my first post! A couple years ago I had taken over my (now fiance's) tank. I figured out it was not being run properly. I was basically using the internet as a crash course in everything fish related!

I had finally gotten the tank good. We have a diamond Tetra, bronze Cory and fancy guppy. I know they all need more of the same kind,but that is besides the point of my post. We've had the Cory and tetra for 3 years now. They seem like buds.

Lately things have been going awry. My Cory was slowly loosing a fin due to some sort of deterioration and grew a white/gray patch on him. I already use salt in my tank (Cory does just fine) and I did large daily water changes to try and fix the situation. Parameters were always fine during all of this. I got scared of was columnaris, however he's lived for 2 months now with the patch and a loss of a fun. Then his tail fin split and my tetra began having some gray patch around his mouth. These patches are not fuzzy. I treated with kanamyacin/furan 2. Didn't change anything. I tried water changes again for awhile. Still nothing. Now I am using Jungle Fungus Clear.

I took out the carbon and have been testing water daily and nightly. I also bought a ammonia tester since my kit didn't have that. We are on day 2 and my Cory has begun swimming from top to bottom of the tank quite often. He's been active like that all day with small breaks of laying on the gravel. He's usually chill, laying around, digging for food or hiding. So this much activity is unusual for him. However the other fish seem fine. The Cory is not surfacing every time. Just goes toward the surface and back down.

My ammonia is normally a tiny bit above 0, not completely gold yellow like the test card. Today it is definitely. 25. Could the Cory be panicking and feeling that? Should I forgo the meds and do the water change? I have added prime hoping that will help control it and I haven't noticed any normal signs of ammonia poisoning. Nitrates and nitrites are 0. PH is 7.5. My water is one the harder side of things.

Should I be concerned? Is he probably stresses of just happy?

Advertisement
Bryangar
Are you sure nitrates are 0? That means you don't have a cycle. What test kit do you have?

Advertisement
Alisha Stephens
Are you sure nitrates are 0? That means you don't have a cycle. What test kit do you have?

The apI test strips, it's very low if not 0. The color has maybe a tiny of pink...barely...with 20 being the next color option...if that makes sense.

Keith83
Alisha Stephens
Jungle clear can reduce oxygen. Do you have and air stone or power head to stir up the surface? Get the API master kit to test your water. It's much more accurate.

Oh Dang! I did forget to mention that. Yes I have a Air stone and a filter that agitates the water in my 10 gal tank.

I will look into that one. I was short on money at the time I needed new ones.

Bryangar
What size tank is it? I’ve never used test strips, they’re usually inaccurate. I would recommend you get the API master liquid test kit. It’s more accurate and cheaper than the test strip in the long run.

If the ammonia is over 0 then I would do a water change. Did you do a water change and add prime into the new water? or just add the prime into the tank?

Cories are really active buggers. They swim around constantly sticking their nose into everything. They also like to just lay on the substrate. Is he darting to the surface and back down? Or how is he moving strange exactly?

Advertisement

Alisha Stephens
What size tank is it? I’ve never used test strips, they’re usually inaccurate. I would recommend you get the API master liquid test kit. It’s more accurate and cheaper than the test strip in the long run.

If the ammonia is over 0 then I would do a water change. Did you do a water change and add prime into the new water? or just add the prime into the tank?

Cories are really active buggers. They swim around constantly sticking their nose into everything. They also like to just lay on the substrate. Is he darting to the surface and back down? Or how is he moving strange exactly?

It's 10 gal. I will look into that for sure. My ammonia tester is one of the bottle tests at least!

Well I was trying to make a decision between continuing the meds and a pwc. It had moved up to .25 and I'm watching it pretty closely so I decided to just add prime to current tank water unless I see it go up ANY more. Which I read of the false positives after using prime...but if the ammonia DOES go up more, will tests still read that?

The reason I'm concerned about his behavior is because he usually is a chill Cory, just laying around or in his log. He hasn't been a huge active swimmer in my 3 years of owning him. I understand many Cory's are. I just wonder about the sudden change in behavior and if it is good or a stress behavior.

He isn't darting all the way to the surface, like when he gets some air, but close to then turns back around to the bottom. Continues that for a few loops then stops, hovers on the gravel, sometimes moving like he's uncomfortable, then starts his loops again.

I turned off the lights probably an hour ago and he finally seems to have stopped to just lay at the bottom in the last 30 min.

Ultimately, just very active for HIM and his usual behavior, and with everything going on in the tank, I get concerned.

Bryangar
It's 10 gal. I will look into that for sure. My ammonia tester is one of the bottle tests at least!

Well I was trying to make a decision between continuing the meds and a pwc. It had moved up to .25 and I'm watching it pretty closely so I decided to just add prime to current tank water unless I see it go up ANY more. Which I read of the false positives after using prime...but if the ammonia DOES go up more, will tests still read that?

The reason I'm concerned about his behavior is because he usually is a chill Cory, just laying around or in his log. He hasn't been a huge active swimmer in my 3 years of owning him. I understand many Cory's are. I just wonder about the sudden change in behavior and if it is good or a stress behavior.

He isn't darting all the way to the surface, like when he gets some air, but close to then turns back around to the bottom. Continues that for a few loops then stops, hovers on the gravel, sometimes moving like he's uncomfortable, then starts his loops again.

I turned off the lights probably an hour ago and he finally seems to have stopped to just lay at the bottom in the last 30 min.

Ultimately, just very active for HIM and his usual behavior, and with everything going on in the tank, I get concerned.
Prime can cause false reading if you overdose by a lot but it won't harm the fish I think since it says you can dose 5x the amount if your nitrites are high. It usually works better when you add it to new water. If the ammonia does go up, the prime should help with that for up to 48 hours while your beneficial bacteria eats the ammonia .

You said the tank was previously owned by your fiancé, did he have the current fish in there before you took over?

I would say that’s normal cory behavior, can you post a picture of him, whenever you have a chance?

Alisha Stephens
Prime can cause false reading if you overdose by a lot but it won't harm the fish I think since it says you can dose 5x the amount if your nitrites are high. It usually works better when you add it to new water. If the ammonia does go up, the prime should help with that for up to 48 hours while your beneficial bacteria eats the ammonia .

You said the tank was previously owned by your fiancé, did he have the current fish in there before you took over?

I would say that’s normal cory behavior, can you post a picture of him, whenever you have a chance?

OK, I'm just worried what will happen once the 24-48 hours is up and it unbinds. I don't want it to spike more, especially while I'm at work

I had just started taking over and learning and righting the tank by the time we got these (the Cory and tetra). The guppy is a year old.

Think I should still do a water change due to the ammonia? Or just keep a close eye on it, and maybe add more prime if needed.

Attachments

• IMAG1412.jpg
    IMAG1412.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG1317.jpg
    IMAG1317.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 98
Bryangar
As long as you have a cycle going in your tank it should be fine. If you don't have any dead fish or anything in the tank then you shouldn’t worry about an ammonia spike.

From the pictures you provided the fish look healthy, I didn’t see the patch you said in the earlier post. Possibly it’s the salt making him a little crazy, Do you add it every time when you do a water change? Salt really shouldn’t be used in a freshwater setup, unless it’s for a salt dip. Or to cure ich, IMO.

If the patch wasn’t fuzzy then it probably isn’t fungus. Hopefully someone else can chime in and add something to the topic.

Maybe he lost his fun because he’s stressed from being alone? How often do you normally do water changes?

Advertisement

Alisha Stephens
As long as you have a cycle going in your tank it should be fine. If you don't have any dead fish or anything in the tank then you shouldn’t worry about an ammonia spike.

From the pictures you provided the fish look healthy, I didn’t see the patch you said in the earlier post. Possibly it’s the salt making him a little crazy, Do you add it every time when you do a water change? Salt really shouldn’t be used in a freshwater setup, unless it’s for a salt dip. Or to cure ich, IMO.

If the patch wasn’t fuzzy then it probably isn’t fungus. Hopefully someone else can chime in and add something to the topic.

Maybe he lost his fun because he’s stressed from being alone? How often do you normally do water changes?

My first comment got me a little nervous, talking about little to no nitrates and no cycle. How would I know if there really was none.
I think the only think that could spike it is food and if these meds are killing my BB.

Those weren't current pictures but from within the last week. They look the same on the outside though. His patch is kinda seen in the close up pic of the Cory. It's on his body, about midway, like a perfect square. Fungus Clear is an antibacterial actually. So was my kanaplex/furan 2 combo. It's just not seeming to work.

I could understand from being alone. It always seemed like him and the tetra swam near each other and we're buds so I never thought about it too much.

I last did a water change before starting the meds, on Monday. I didn't add salt then. Usually for the Cory's sake I would add salt every other water change. But since illnesses were appearing I was doing it every change. Never the "heaping mounds" it instructs though. My LFS is all about salt and water changes and letting them work through things. He's against meds for sure. I tried that way twice though,at least, as much as I could with a Cory.

Oh and I on a normal basis do water changes...20%...once a week. I was doing large ones daily to help with the fin rot last week though.

when I added prime this morning, I did enough for the volume of the tank, normal dosing. will that be enough?

Bryangar
How long was the tank set up before hand?
It says on the Furan2 package that it does inhibit the biological bacteria. It does kill off some beneficial bacteria. I think most antibacterial meds hurt your BB, unless it’s natural. You might have to add TSS when you remove it from your tank.

I thought that was part of him. Is he a bronze cory? I definitely would stop treating with fungus meds if the patch or anything doesn’t look somewhat fuzzy.

Corys are really social fish, they can survive alone but they won’t really thrive.

Has his fin rot cleared? I would only start adding clean water without salt or meds. Most illnesses can be cleared with clean water.

That seem like a reasonable amount to add.

Alisha Stephens
How long was the tank set up before hand?
It says on the Furan2 package that it does inhibit the biological bacteria. It does kill off some beneficial bacteria. I think most antibacterial meds hurt your BB, unless it’s natural. You might have to add TSS when you remove it from your tank.

I thought that was part of him. Is he a bronze cory? I definitely would stop treating with fungus meds if the patch or anything doesn’t look somewhat fuzzy.

Corys are really social fish, they can survive alone but they won’t really thrive.

Has his fin rot cleared? I would only start adding clean water without salt or meds. Most illnesses can be cleared with clean water.

That seem like a reasonable amount to add.

The tank was set up before we got together. So maybe a total of 6-7 years now.

He is a bronze Cory. IDK what that patch is. It stopped getting bigger but is not going away either. His fin rot doesn't seem to have cleared up or be growing back. The tail fin is just split in the middle I'm scared of him loosing that one like his side fin.

Again, Fungus Clear is a bacterial med. It's got nitrofurazone and potassium dichromate. However I tested the ammonia once more before bed and to me it was darker than 5 hours ago, so I just did a water change, and added more prime with the water change and put the carbon back in. I didn't want to see what would happen 8 hours from now when I wake up. Hopefully that will help.

What's TSS?

I want to look into another Cory but worried about the tank situation right now. May not be a good environment for a new one.

This is the closest my camera will get to him in order to see his patch. There are a couple white looking nodules...but you can barely even see them from a sideways view (to see if they stick out), so IDK what they are. They're resistant to bacterial meds. Been there at least 2 months now and haven't changed in shape or size once it go to this point.

Attachments

• IMAG1520.jpg
    IMAG1520.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG1517.jpg
    IMAG1517.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG1515.jpg
    IMAG1515.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 90
Bryangar
Hmm, I don’t know what the patch could be. I see the missing part on his tail but that’s not fin rot. It seems like he hurt it maybe from a sharp decoration. It doesn’t look infected or anything so as long as you keep the water clean it should return in a few months.

Maybe someone else can help identify it? finnipper59 any idea?

Alisha Stephens
Hmm, I don’t know what the patch could be. I see the missing part on his tail but that’s not fin rot. It seems like he hurt it maybe from a sharp decoration. It doesn’t look infected or anything so as long as you keep the water clean it should return in a few months.

Maybe someone else can help identify it? finnipper59 any idea?

His back fin originally had a white spot in the center, but not small like ick, and then one day it split. There is a little but of white edging on the parts that split apart

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
  • Question
Replies
Views
LoneWanderer
Replies
Views
Ackerry
Replies