Odd Betta Behavoir

K’s fish
My betta started sitting next to my filter and not moving or laying on top of his thermometer. I'm not sure what's wrong though. He still eats, swims around, water temp is a normal 78 F, and all water parameters are normal. He has never done this before, just started this morning, not sure what to make of it. I'll keep a close eye on him and is water chemistry for the next couple days.

Advertisement
Repolie
He might just like resting there. Can we see pictures of him?

K’s fish
One photo is Bruce on a normal day; he loves to swim through the hole in the rock or chill on his live plant. The other photo is what he’s been doing today at random times. He doesn’t stay there more then 5 minutes at a time but he seems to really like it right there. Coincidently that is also where the heater is but when I measured the temp in random spots they all came back the same 78F.

Attachments

• 7DEB0619-A91B-438F-88D7-AB9C7477BA3A.jpeg
    7DEB0619-A91B-438F-88D7-AB9C7477BA3A.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 704E1E4D-CBBA-43D3-8077-395A567A9F37.jpeg
    704E1E4D-CBBA-43D3-8077-395A567A9F37.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 82
Advertisement
NickAu
Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

K’s fish
How big is the tank? 5 Gal

Has it got a heater? What is it set to? Yes, 76-78F

Has it got a filter? Yes

How strong is the current? Strong enough to move the top of the water; and doesn't go to far under the surface; it has never hindered my Betta's swimming before.

Is it cycled? Yes

How often do you change water? Once a week. Today is actually when I usually do a water change.

How much water do you change? 10-15%

Do you vacuum the substrate? Yes

What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator? I use API conditioner during water changes. I was using leaf zone for the plants but have since stopped as now I use root tabs. It says on the bottle its safe to use with fish present but right now I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand. Tap water

Do you have a water test kit? Yes

Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Using the API kit everything came back 0 and the pH was at 7.2 last I checked though it is usually at 7.0

What do you feed him? how much? how often? He gets about an eyeball size portion of brine shrimp at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day. He always wants more but I watch to make sure his stomach doesn't bulge and will sometimes feed him a bit more if he is being really active. I have recently bought some bloodworms and pellets to change up his diet.

Any tank mates? What sort how many? No tankmate except moss balls and an amazon sword plant. I have been advised to maybe get some cherry shrimp for him to hunt but I am not sure so I haven't done that yet.

How long have you had the Betta? Close to two months

Has he got a history of illness? No, He looked sick when I bought him, one of the reasons I picked him out of all the others. He perked right up after a few days of being in his new tank and was being feed well.

Can you provide a close up photo of the fish? I have a few videos but they do not upload on here for some reason so I'll have to upload some photos later.

As a side note I am starting to think he is just bored since he shows no real sign of illness and still likes to swim around his tank. I bought a small mirror that I will periodically set near his tank as I've read in many betta handbooks and posts that some exposure like that is good. Also, I have purchased a suction cup clamp to create a hammock for him close to the top of the tank for him to rest on as it seems the only reason he, basically, suction cups himself to the small intake of the filter to stay in one spot. I know he is not stuck as he will swim past the area and not get stuck and he will also just up and swim toward me when he sees me near his tank.

K’s fish
I'll be starting to do a water change twice a week as maybe that might be the biggest problem.

K’s fish
Update: I’ve done a water change, moved some decor around, and fed Bruce. He is super active right now so I think the bored hyposthesis was correct!! He’s having a hay day exploring his “new” surrounding!

Attachments

• 8DAA2209-29B3-4E02-9ABF-B1EE1F9175F0.jpeg
    8DAA2209-29B3-4E02-9ABF-B1EE1F9175F0.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 1DB5118D-A914-49CF-A17F-CAD5F8E89610.jpeg
    1DB5118D-A914-49CF-A17F-CAD5F8E89610.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 62
AJ34
Probably was just bored or resting! They do funny things sometimes . I have one who sleeps on the top suction cup of the heater. I have another one that rests behind the filter. If they are eating and don’t show any physical signs of illness I tend not to worry about it too much!

K’s fish
Probably was just bored or resting! They do funny things sometimes . I have one who sleeps on the top suction cup of the heater. I have another one that rests behind the filter. If they are eating and don’t show any physical signs of illness I tend not to worry about it too much!
I bought a hammock that I’m setting up close to the heater so he can lay on that instead of suction cupping himself to the filter.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Watersplasher909
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
Replies
Views
vinsgirl
  • Question
Replies