Odd Betta Behavior??

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddiecat214

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lately my Betta has been swiming by the filter. He swims against the current, but sometimes will go low and get pinned against a decoration, and then he will swim out go back and get under the filter and get stuck there. He just started doing this when I switched up his tank after a water change. The filter I have in an Elite in tank filter for under 3 gal. Should I be worried????

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you really dont want a current in the tank but with most good filters its unavoidable it may or may not be the problem im not yet an experienced betta owner hope you find a solution

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can put a sponge at the outflow or at the inflow tube to slow the flow down. Not only will he be happier, but it gives you extra good bacteria for filtering.

If this is not normal behaviour for your boy, then can you post your water parameters so we can rule out any water issue please?

maddiecat214

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He doesnt do it all the time. Ammonia is 0. The filter I have is the Hagen Elite Mini Underwater Filter. It is on its lowest setting and does not put out a strong current.
642.jpg

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ah yes, I have that filter now I see it, I know exactly what you mean by it! Maybe he is just playing in the small current, if my boys gets in the current unexpectedly, then it can put him off for a bit (nice tank!).
My boys went through a phase of swimming round and round the filter for a few weeks (made me dizzy watching them), then got bored and stopped. Maybe it's just this!

They tend to sleep on top of that one now, well the 3 that have it anyway lol!

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What an adorable tank and your betta is beautiful!

When you say that he gets "stuck", do you mean that he needs help to get free from the filter or can he move away from it on his own? My Max has a power filter that's set to a high to moderate flow(he likes his water flow strong!) and he always swims against the current and presses himself against the sponge on the intake. Your betta just may like the feel of the water going through the intake area which could explain why he is doing this.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sometimes my ct will do that.....he'll swim in the current (whisper 2-10g) and then play around the filter. i always wondered if it was too strong....but this does not have a setting. i've thought about getting one with a flow control.

just keep an eye on him....inspect his fins often. is he at a school? i notice it says don't tap on the glass. and captain jack is a cute name

maddiecat214

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sometimes my ct will do that.....he'll swim in the current (whisper 2-10g) and then play around the filter. i always wondered if it was too strong....but this does not have a setting. i've thought about getting one with a flow control.

just keep an eye on him....inspect his fins often. is he at a school? i notice it says don't tap on the glass. and captain jack is a cute name
Thanks! No he is at my office. ;D

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My betta loves the current from my filter also! But as it is quite strong I minimise it (it has no setting to reduce flow) by attaching the duck bill shaped head to the outlet (one of the several heads that came with my internal filter), allowing it to poke just above the water line and rotate the nozzle so it points directly against the glass of the tank. It still moves water around the tank well and it reduces the direct flow into the tank for my betta while still giving him a bubbly cascade to frolic in without getting swept around.

used2bN2horsesLOL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was worried about about too, flow being too strong from the output of my powerfilter, even on it's lowest setting. After a week though I repeatedly see my betta female "surfing" in the bubbles from the bubbler, she'll swim to the bottom, get in the bubbles and shoot to the top, then swim away and do it again. It's so fun to watch.
She also sometimes goes into the current from the output of the filter and swims straight into it without going anywhere. I've been concerned she's going to hurt her fins but haven't seen the least bit of damage so far.
This sort of thing only makes me feel more bad for the ones still in cups =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom