Odd betta behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amthmi

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello all,
A few months ago I moved my veiltail betta into a nice 5 gallon hex. He was previously in a 2.5 gallon, actually quite happy and very active, with only a heater to maintain a constant temp. Ever since the move he's been sluggish, only hanging out on the bottom of the tank, never swimming around like he used to. The only time he ever seems happy anymore is when it's feeding time. At first, I really thought he was just acclimating to the new environment, getting used to his new space and maybe slightly overwhelmed by the sudden change. After a few days of this I began testing the water levels like a mad woman figuring something must be off and that was what was causing his behavior. The odd thing is though, all his water levels are perfect-- Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate etc... they were all where they're supposed to be. The only thing left that I could think of was the filter, knowing that bettas don't really like alot of current in their water. But even when I turn the filter off for long periods of time(2 days max, I'm really uncomfortable with leaving the filter off), he's still the same. Is it possible that he's just gotten lazy? I don't really think so. He's only about 2 and a 1/2 years old, he can't really be dying of "old age" already can he? Any ideas about what is going on would be truly appreciated

Last edited:

DPM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bettas can live to 5 years if proper care is taken
but this could also be fin rot see the fishlore freshwater fin rot page.
fin rot sometimes occurs to bettas and thay just sit at the bottom of the tank
one of my bettas once had fin rot
these are the only things i could think it would be other than laziness because bettas often hang around mid to the top of the tank

Last edited:

Lexi03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A well taken care of betta can live for 5 plus years, so it is hard to say if he is old. I would not turn the filter off, if you are worried about the flow you can make a baffle to slow or redirect the water flow. One thought I that comes to mind it a hex tank is usually taller and narrower than a rectangular shape, could he be exerting himself too much trying to go up for air? Also a hex tank has more reflective surfaces on it which can stress some bettas out.

OP
A

amthmi

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's still the same, though I did order a 5 gallon long and it's coming in the mail within the next 2 weeks! I think it must be what lexi03 said, about him getting exhausted having to swim up to the top of the tank for air. The only reason I say this is because I've treated him once in the past for fin rot and it wasn't anything like this :\ I hope once I get him set up in the 5 long he'll be back to his old self. Thankyou for checking up on him though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom