Odd Behavior Question

1. N

Nikkikittu711 Valued Member Member

I have a round banded barb that recently started to dart around the tank every now and then and I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with him. All my other fish are acting normally and I wasn't sure what to think of it. Any thoughts?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank is this and what else do you have in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    N

It's a 40 gallon and all my fish are on my profile

4. TexasDomer

Do you only have one of each species unless specified? He's likely very stressed being the only of his species in the tank. You have stocking issues that are likely stressing out your fish. We can help you fix them, if you're interested.

5. OP
    OP
    N

Unfortunatly I don't know that I want to the boyfriend and I have been trying to keep different types of fish patterns and I have been told the barbs are not schooling fish. The rainbows are schooled though because I know they need a few. I do have a couple other fish but one I forgot the name of and the other I don't think I'm keeping a type of barb and a runt female sword

6. TexasDomer

You were given some bad information. These fish are likely very stressed in their current situation, and I would expect you'll have disease and aggression issues before long.

7. OP
    OP
    N

I have had all of these fish for a few months except for the round banded and the red dwar platy which I took from a friend since she was downsizing her tank. Like I said none of the other fish are acting any way weird exempt for him so is he stressed over being new in the tank? It's been 2 weeks

8. TexasDomer

He's stressed because he's a schooling fish and he's alone. Your other fish are also likely stressed, even if you can't see it. Schooling fish need to be kept in groups for their health and comfort.

9. OP
    OP
    N

So I need to get rid of some and school a few? I really have gotten attached to them and I don't have room to set up my 20 gallon to keep all of them it would really make me sad. They come up and say hi when I walk in the house in a group lol

10. TexasDomer

Yes, that would be recommended. I'd rehome a few species, but then you'd have room to get more of the remaining species, and they'd come up to say hi to you too!

What species is your favorite?

11. OP
    OP
    N

Round banded barb and the barb that is goldish pink they watch TV with us XD

12. TexasDomer

Can you take a pic of the goldish pink barb? We can help you ID it and then come up with a fun and appropriate stocking plan for you :)

(If you want to take pics of all the fish you don't know, we can ID those for you too)