Odd Behavior

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jruko, Jul 9, 2015.

1. j

jruko New Member Member

My tiger barb is floating vertically, often, head down. whats going on with him?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Can be a variety of things, what size tank and what are the water parameters?

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Also, a picture might be helpful. :)

4. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

Several (all?) of mine do that. I question all only because I can't tell them all apart. Four of five will get in a corner and just float, tail up. If I approach the tank, most of the time they will pop right up and start swimming around (hoping for food!). They are otherwise active, eat well and have bright colors so I think maybe it's just a "thing" they do?

If anyone knows something different, please correct me!

Also, do you have more than one? Tiger Barbs should be in a school, the larger the better!

5. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

100 gallon
    5 bala sharks, 2 angels, 3 barbs. will add more barbs next week. perfect chemical levels, almost cycled, lots of real and fake plants with hiding places. he gets chased by another barb because i havnt completed the school yet.

but i hear alot of barbs do this anyhow

all babies by the way.

well, biggest fish is about 2 inches anyways

Sent from my LGMS323 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If the tank is "almost cycled" then the chemical levels can't be perfect. What test kit are you using and what are the exact parameters?

7. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

its all in my other thread named My 100 gallon. i used test strips that gave me a deceptive 0 ammonia level and nitrates. thats why i said almost. will get back with more accurate levels

8. i

isacr Valued Member Member

When I first turn my tank on my barbs are colorless and float as you described. I'm guessing it's a normal thing they do.

Sent from my HTC One using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

This is a bit off topic, but what many people do to avoid the problem of startling your fish awake is to put your tank light on a timer, and then ensure that the room light comes on about a half hour prior, and about the same after the tank light goes off. It really does seem to reduce stress.-rick

10. i

isacr Valued Member Member

I have my tank on a timer but I didn't know about the outside light.

Sent from my HTC One using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

BTW, unless you are planning to rehome them to a huge tank, 100 gallons is not nearly enough for 5 bala sharks.

12. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

upgrading to 300 gallon..

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This Information will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice