Odd behavior than death follows. Help

1. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Alright, I thought the first time was just bad luck but now it's happening a lot. Pretty much the Danio will swim at the top of the tank with their head touching the top. Their mouth keeps opening and closing and they just putter around. It won't eat but will run away if another fish touches it. Generally this will last a couple days then finally the poor thing will die.

All the while the other fish are doing their thing all around the tank. I had three then got six more about 10 days ago. The first one died Monday and when I went home at lunch today, there were two more at the top starting to show the same pattern. I didn't have time to test the water but I tested it last Saturday with no issues. I'm going to test it when I get home this evening.

Do I have back luck, or maybe the store in their source? I wanted to get something more expensive this weekend or next week but I rather have this issue solved first.

Thanks.

2. alicem Member Member

Gasping for air at the top of the tank is a sign of nitrIte poisoning.
    Did you cycle your tank with the danios?
    alicem

3. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I cycled with six originally. One died of the reasons above, two died while I was gone so I assume for the same reason. When I got back and tested, Ammonia and Nitrite was zero and Nitrate was .10.

I tested for Ammonia last weekend and results were zero. If it is Nitrite, wouldn't all the fish be showing the same signs? Soon as I get home tonight I'll test for Nitrite.

Edit: I did a quick google and it says the gills should turn from red to brown but I don't recall that happening to any of the fish. Either way, I'll still test ASAP.

4. alicem Member Member

Nitrite poisoning happens during the cycle.
    Your water could test fine, but the fish have already been affected and it just now showing up.
    Sorry to tell you that. :-\

I just finished reading your other thread. (A bit of the "cart before the horse" on my part, I'm afraid.)
    If your LFS takes back danios that have cycled other tanks, you may have gotten some returns.
    That could add to the danio's problems, if that was the case. :(

Have you read about doing partial water changes?
    When you add replacement water, you can use water mixed at the tap for temperature.
    Yes, add the dechorinator right away, or better yet, to each bucket before putting the replacement water in the tank.
    Fresh clean water will go a long way toward the health of your fish.

Your tank will come together for you, give it time.
    :animal0028:
    alicem

5. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Well, when I added the last batch, I had three of the 'cycle' left. No way to tell if the one that died earlier this week and the two that seemed to be affected now are those three but I understand how it could affect them later on.

Yes, my LFS does take fish back so that could also be another source of problems.

I plan on testing tonight. If the results come back clean then I'll wait till tomorrow to do a water change. If they come back bad than I'll do one tonight.

Thanks for the help and I'll report my findings.

6. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Ok, here are the results:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10 thou I could argue 5
    pH 7.6 on the low test and maybe 7.8 on the high, I just can't tell.

I know that 7.6 is high or at least high for the normal tropical fish so is that a concern?

Sadly, one didn't make it while I was at work and the other isn't doing any better. Thou, the others are zipping around like normal. So lets just say that of the cycle batch, there is only one left. I'll watch and see if any others start to show the signs.

7. alicem Member Member

I'd say split the difference: nitrate of 7.5 and pH 7.7
    Looks good to me. :)

No. I imagine the LFS has the same water as you unless they have alot of salt water fish.
    Then they probably use RO water (because of the salt water tanks) and have a pH of 7.0, of course I'm assuming here.

In any event, if you acclimated them slowly (for +/- a hour or so) it shouldn't be a problem.
    Always take alot of time to acclimate and the fish should be ok.
    No doubt, some will do better in a more perfect pH, but that's more often if you want the fish to breed, or have discus or other sensitive fish.

If your tests show 0 ammonia and nitrite, then you could probably add a couple of fish.
    Be ready to do some water changes if you get a spike.
    Test the water every day or so and wait two weeks. If the tests still show 0 ammonia and nitrites you can probably add a couple more.
    Be sure to discard any dead fish asap. They can cause water and health problems pretty quickly.

If you take your time and don't rush it, you'll get your tank stocked and stable.
    alicem

8. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait till the weekend and see how everything goes.

9. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Just to update.

The remaining six have showed no signs. At this point I'm happy that the problem seems to have been isolated with the starter fish. Sad that I am about that, I'm just happy it wasn't a wider issue.

Thanks for everyone's help.

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks for the update.
    I'm glad to hear things are going well. :)