odd behavior rainbow shark

zowie717

I have my 2 rainbow sharks in QT only had them for 2 days and I have been observing them alot. They are eating vertically and spinning and the one tonight was laying on his side just floating around, I thought he was dying and then tapped the glass and he went upright and starting swimming.

Can anyone share there experiene with these types so I know there behavior. also what do you feed yours. I have done flakes and dried blood worms.

TFA101

hmmm....

how did the acclimation process go? did you do the simple float-the-bag method?

zowie717

I did the float the bag and added water from the QT to their bag over the course of 2 hours. I then netted them out of their bag into the QT so that I did not have the pet store water in the tank.

my ammonia is .50 so I have been doing water changes daily and adding in prime and conditioner. ph is about 7.0 to 7.2 ,

bryan87

well for one prime is a conditioner... you would need only prime. I would use some stresscoat + to help with the stress.

sirdarksol

Any signs of torn fins or anything? They tend to be very aggressive with each other. One may have chased the other into the glass, stunning it.

Dozey

Zowie,

To house two Rainbow Sharks you will need a tank 100+ gallons in hope of any success. Even housing just one will require a tank of 55+ gallons. Although Stress Coat may help in the short term it is not a long term solution. I know from personal experience when I purchased a Rainbow for my 35 gallon. Fortunately I was able to find a home for him in a 125 gallon tank.

bryan87

I was talking about only getting the shark to good health and through the qt.

zowie717

well the 1 that was acting odd died. he was stuck to filter when I came home from work in the morning. so I have 1 now. why do I need a 100 gallon tank for 1 rainbow shark? I inquired as to the size of him when purchased and listed and quoted was 4 inches per employees and also displayed on tank. was I misinfomred again by lfs? and why would they list the size incorrectly there?

Dozey

well the 1 that was acting odd died. he was stuck to filter when I came home from work in the morning. so I have 1 now. why do I need a 100 gallon tank for 1 rainbow shark? I inquired as to the size of him when purchased and listed and quoted was 4 inches per employees and also displayed on tank. was I misinfomred again by lfs? and why would they list the size incorrectly there?

You don’t need 100 gallons for 1 rainbow that advice was for 2 rainbows. 1 rainbow requires 55 gallons. Rainbow sharks seem to hate each other. Amazing that they reproduce as they really don’t get along with one another. Rainbow sharks apparently are more “one night stand” then “death do us part”.

MeGustaUnaPez926

Zowie, they stay pretty small, compared to other fish, but are super aggressive, so even if you only have one, they need a ton of swimming space and territory. I say take him back to your LFS.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cas88
Replies
Views
Fanatic
  • Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies