Odd Ball Suggestions For 20g

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by BlueSubmarine, Apr 19, 2017.

1. BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

I decided to move my old bolivian ram pair to a separate tank as they were not getting along with my FMs.

As of right now, the tank looks rather empty with just the rams and I wanted to see if I could get some oddball fish (or critter) thatd get along with them.

Any suggestions?

The tank has a sandy substrate and a few plant clippings (not sure if I want to go planted or not yet)

Thanks! :)

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Freshwater frogfish? They are not as pricy as you think, however it maybe harder to get your hands on one. However if it gets big enough it may consider your rams lunch.

3. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Most of the cool Odd-Ball fish require a tank size of 40-50 gallons.
    Maybe you could settle for Neolamprogus Multifasciatus? They are a type of Taganikan cichlid which are called shell dwellers, because they live in shells.

You can get some shells and stuff them in there and get 2 pairs, they should start repopulating the colony from there.

4. Ed204

I wouldn't get one, they get up to 12 inches and require at least a 40 gallon tank.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Blue Crayfish? Get it small. @The Crayfish King has had success keeping a ram and crayfish together.

Other ideas would be the glass fish which are really rare these days for some reason. I think they would be pretty. Sandy substrate sounds good for a school of kuhli loaches

The first thing I thought about was shell dwelling cichlids but they likely would not get along with your rams.

6. Ed204

Oh, the Rams are in the tank? My bad, didn't read it.

In that case, don't get the Multies. They do best in a species only tank.
    If you can get your hands on glass Catfish, a small group could work. I believe hatchetfish could also work.

7. OP
    OP
    BlueSubmarine

I had looked at the Shell dwellers and was very interested, but i wasn't sure if theyd get along with the rams?

8. Ed204

It might work, but not likely. If you get Multies, they will continue to expand their colony, not to mention that your Rams will breed as well.

9. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Shell Dwellers are quite aggressive. They are small so they can't do a ton of damage but they do better in species only tanks. I wouldn't suggest it with rams.

10. OP
    OP
    BlueSubmarine

The rams are pretty old and they have never paired. I think they might of the same sex, not sure. So them breeding and getting territorial should not be too much of an issue.

Ive never kept multies so im not sure how they work in terms of other species.

Thanks for the suggestions!

11. OP
    OP
    BlueSubmarine

Yeah I may have to look for something else thats peaceful. Cant afford to set a third tank lol

12. Ed204

Kuhli Loaches could work in that case.

13. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

So rams are soft and acidic preference and multis while awesome... Are alkaline and hard water preference. I know you can transition... But it may be a little rough and I wouldn't recommend it.

14. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

What about killis? Gobies? Darters? Gudgeons? Vampire crabs? CPOs? Vampire shrimps (or other big shrimps)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice