Not open for further replies.
OP
M

Mommabear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, I'll do prime. Now I know it messes up tests. Will it work with API tests? And how long should I wait before I test?

OP
M

Mommabear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, I was reading another posting that spoke about using Prime. Since my goldfish are in this tank and I'm changing the water every 3/4 days, and 50% changes.... If Prime only lasts 24 hrs & I'm showing ammonia in my tap water, what else should I be doing? Should I add it every other day or will adding it when I do the water changes be sufficient?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A cycled tank should be able to process any ammonia that is in your tap water (plus the ammonia produced by the fish_ in 24 hours. So dosing the tap water with Prime should keep it detoxed until it is processes.

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would like to point out that while prime is the go-to ammonia detoxifier here that other products such as kordons amquel are just as capable of rendering ammonia safe and do not give false readings with the API tests.

OP
M

Mommabear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok ok, another question. I was doing some reading... this does seem to affect the PH, how do approach this problem? i have goldfish that like the higher ph

mohawk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mommabear, use Prime. I have 4 Goldfish and use Prime. No effect on pH. Before Prime, I was using Amquel Plus, and it did cause a pH crash when I did three consecutive water changes (went from 7.2 to a light yellow on the API test, meaning it was 6.0 or lower). That was the reason I switched to Prime.

OP
M

Mommabear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, thats what i was afraid could happen. I'm attempting to keep things as simple, read easy lol, as i can. I sure hope that patio pond fycles up in a hurry. Sigh, no change in my ammonia there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom