Odd Ammonia Number?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by aquaticat, Jan 5, 2013.

1. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Tested my 45g yesterday before a water change and got 1 ppm ammonia :)o), 0 Nitrite and just over 40 Nitrate. Did the change, tested again today, and got 0.50 ppm ammonia and once again, 0 Nitrite and 40 Nitrate. Is it normal to have ammonia this high considering the Nitrite/Nitrate numbers?

Sorry if this is kind of a "duh" question ;D just wasn't sure LOL! I'm such a noob :p

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Your profile says you just set it up last month. How did you cycle it? TSS, media from another tank?

3. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Yes, I used Tetra SafeStart and moved in my fish but also had the filter from my 10g too.

I have tons of baby snails in addition to my fish so I'm not surprised if they are making the ammonia spike.

4. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

5. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Speaking of the snails, any ideas on how to get rid of them?? ;D I'd really prefer not to have to deal with any more snails ;D

And thanks, Prime is next on my list of things I have to pick up! :)

6. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

The snail population can be easily controlled by not overfeeding. Fish need so little food compared to what we think they need. When uneaten food sits on/in the gravel the snails breed very quickly. Keep the gravel clean and don't overfeed and the snail population will dwindle.

You can also place a romaine lettuce leaf on the gravel, weighted down, at lights out. In the morning when the lights go back on, remove the leaf and pick up all the snails in the area.

Good luck.

7. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I use Prime with every water change, mini-cycle or not :)

Snails:

1. Pick out any you see when you see them. Do...something with them :p
    2. Put a piece of lettuce or cucumber in the tank at night. In the morning, when it's covered with snails, take it out.
    3. Assassin snails! If you aren't overrun with them, one or two will be plenty. I put two in my 55 and within a month or two they were all gone. Once the snails are gone, you'll have to feed the assassins shrimp pellets, or raise snails in another tank. I have MTS in my betta tank :)

Or any combo of the three. I had snails in a 2.5 gallon and even picking them out anytime I saw them, and removing any visible egg clutches, k could never keep up. So 1 isn't a feasible option alone.

Edit: oops, ninja-ed :p

8. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Thank you!

I don't feed my fish but a tiny pinch every day and sometimes I skip a day, and my fish seem to eat every little scrap so I have no idea how much the snails are finding, if anything. Apparently enough to stock my tank up! :eek:

9. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I think maybe it depends on the snail. I feed my bettas pellet-by-pellet, and there are a zillion MTS in there. Some snails eat dying plant matter as well. :)

10. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Currently, that's a good thing!! I have quite a few dead Anacharis and Java fern leaves floating around that I've tried to get out but I can't seem to catch them all. I suppose that would most likely explain the thousand little peas crawling everywhere.... ;D

11. escapayWell Known MemberMember

I just had this issue of 1ppm in my 10 gallon. Mini-cycle, I think due to overfeeding. I added Prime since I couldn't do a water change at that moment. Next day I did a water change (adding Prime again). Waited 25+ hours and tested... it was back to 0ppm of ammonia.

I think I had a snail boost in population because of that overfeeding too, even in just one day. XD Oops.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice