Octopus

Deejaysims

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with keeping cephlapod's (spelling?) commonly known as as octopus.

i have been successful in keeping stingrays, eels and sharks and want to broaden it to set up a octopus only tank...

i have heard they usually only live around a year, and that is if you can keep them alive...i hear it is hard?

It seams as though they are one of the most rewarding species you can keep in a home aquarium... apparently their intelligence is amazingly high..which would be fun to watcha nd interact with it...

do you think this will end up costing more money than its worth?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Octopi are most definitely intelligent, expensive, and short-lived. They are very sensitive to changes in water parameters, also.
I hope to at some point have the money and time to raise them, but I don't know that I will ever be able to do so. They are able to learn complex tasks such as unscrewing a soda bottle to remove a fish from the bottle.
One more thing to note, all species of octopus are poisonous, it's how they digest their food. Some, however, are more poisonous than others (as far as I understand it, some will leave burns on the body, while some, like the blue ringed octopus, will give you little chance of survival). Be sure you are buying from a reputable dealer and have researched the genus of octopus you are buying.
Good luck. If you set up a tank, post pictures.

Deejaysims

Reaction score
cheers!!

i know a fair bit about our old friend the blue ring occy!!

All Aussie kids are warned about these as youngn's however...being vurious i almost picked one up when i was poking around rock pools... could have been quite a disaster.... i was about 7-8yrs old i think... my mum told me my older brother almost did the same thing at around the same age...

they are awsome little creatures... i remember playing with it, and it started off a pale white colour and once aggrivated the blue rings flared up.... really good looking animal!!

Deejaysims

Reaction score
so i have heard... there are many stories from octo-keepers!! some realting to octopus getting out of their tank, walking across the room to another tank, eating the contents, and then returning back to its own tank....

SNEAKY BUGGER!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom