Ocean Driftwood Not Sinking

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by happyfins14, Jul 26, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hi guys! Maybe a very similar question to this has been done already, but I found a nice piece of driftwood on the beach and have been soaking it in water for the past almost five days. I change the bucket of water every day. So how long until it sinks? I'm too scared to put it in my betta tank without being sure it's safe. But will I ever know if it's completely safe? No, right? Should I just forget about it and spend the five bucks for a lava rock? I just want the driftwood for java fern, java moss, and anubias nana. I would get multiple rocks or driftwood, depending on which I choose.

Does anyone think I should soak it more? I only have a few weeks left to decide, mostly because I'm moving away to a place where fish stores are a minimum of seven hours away.

And lastly, is this a dumb question?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I've heard that you need to boil it for a couple hours in order to make it released. Never had any as I don't want to lower my pH so can't confirm if this works or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    h

I might try that! Hopefully it won't hurt the pot

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I meant to say make it sink, not released... I was thinking of tannins being released lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    h

Yeah I was wondering about that haha :)

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Not a dumb question! I'd let it soak for a few weeks to make sure there's nothing living in it, to remove all of the salt, and to let it get waterlogged enough to sink.

EDIT: Boiling works too, though I thought that was mostly to remove tannins and anything growing on it? Don't know if it will help it get waterlogged faster.

7. OP
    OP
    h

Great! Thanks for the second opinion :)

8. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

I soaked my large piece of driftwood for a couple weeks. All the tannins were out but that thing would not sink! I finally gave up on soaking, screwed it to slate (using stainless steel screws!) and put it in the tank.
    If you have a pot large enough to boil it in, I would, just to be sure you don't have any beach critters living in it.

9. OP
    OP
    h

Yeah the water hasn't turned brown or anything, does that mean I should boil it? If it still won't sink after another month I'll probably tie it down somehow

10. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

If the water isn't brown, then the tannins are probably out of it. Who knows how long it was on the beach? I don't think it would hurt to boil it just to kill anything living on it. On the other hand, I don't know that boiling it would help sink it. Mine was too big to boil and I ran out of patience. :)

11. Irish Eyes

Irish Eyes New Member Member

I live on the coast, a block from the beach, and collect driftwood all the time. I boil mine for an hour or so to make sure anything living on it is good and dead (after scraping off bark, barnacles, etc., first). Rinse, then put it in my oven on low heat for a couple of hours. After it cools, I attach it to slate or marble with screws and glue, if it doesn't already sink naturally (much driftwood, if you found it on the shore at or near the water line after a storm, and it's still wet, is waterlogged enough to sink pretty much immediately). Forget about waiting weeks or months for it to get waterlogged on its own! If the ocean hasn't managed to do that, yet, my patience level certainly isn't up to it! :;jaws

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice