Help Ocars seem sick

Tehachapitom

Reaction score
Hi,
My two Oscars aren't eating. It's been two days now and they're just sitting on the bottom. I put in feeder fish that they normally gobble down ib 5 minutes and the haven't eaten one of them. They are usually active and come to the top for feeding and eat out of my fingers. I recently added a Cascade 700 Canister filter. I have the two Whisper 60's running as well. Sunday they seem to have been having a problem with Oxygen, so I did a 50% water change. They seem to be floating to one side. They occasionaly will swim around, but aren't acting as usuall

Iron waffle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is your tank cycled? I think this may be the problem. there's a link to info somewhere. It would help if this was in the Oscar section. wait for one of the mods to move it there.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Feeder fish can carry parasites that they can pass on to the fish that you feed them to. Do you breed your own feeder fish or do you get them from the LFS? At the LFS they are kept in overcrowded unhealthy conditions which is one of the main reasons that they contract diseases. Your oscars lack in appetite could be due to a parasite.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if your tank info is correct, its probably ammonia poisioning...oscars a big waste producers and two in a 55 gal with feeders being fed will create alot of ammonia...see if you can find some prime water conditioner as it will neutralize the ammonia for 24 hours and do daily 50% water changes asap...start giving them hikari cichlid pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and some wax worms for their feedings...not all at once of course but unless you raise your own feeders, as mts said, they can get very sick ....goodluck!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom