Obsessions Beyond Fish

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As if 31 fish tanks isn't enough, I have a few other obsessions. There are many, many, many non-human members of our family.

I've been very unhappy with the 10.5 square feet cage (livable space according to a guinea pig rescue website) for our two boar cavys, Oreo and Fidget. About 3 weeks ago, we decided to do something about it. We took down their cage, enclosed the bottom part of it (coroplast) with an x-pen, added an extra-large (according to the pet stores) cage on the exterior of the pen so now they have around 15-16 square feet to play in and the cage has been used as a hutch or a time out (their decision, not ours) when they want to be left alone.

I plan on getting pictures once I get my camera issue resolved. New batteries aren't working, so I'm going to have to dig deeper to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.

Our future plans are to expand our rabbit, Goliath's cage from 4' x 4' x-pen to two x-pens so she'll have the interior of the room, but still not be able to chew on electrical cords, the carpet, or birds. She'll have close to 32 square feet when we're done. I'm hoping to set this up within the next month.

I removed the two salvini cichlids from my 75 gallon tank and upgraded my 55 gallon tropical community tank to a 75 gallon tc tank. It looks fabulous! Another pic when the camera gets fixed.

I do believe these special projects have kept me sane throughout long hours at work and my daughter's knee that doesn't want to heal.

Just thought I'd share.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
wow

good luck with the camera and your daughter's knee

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow you have me beat! I have a 7 foot enclosure in my living room for my iguana...but imagine if i wasn't allergic to furry things!

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love Fox Mustangs.

The black one is my daily driver and the two tone one is the toy.

mktany

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Only 31 tanks?! You need more.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE computers, graphic design and web design but I think computers takes the cake right now. I use 3 computers on a daily basis. The pictures I have are an old school arcade unit I made, my desktop/main computer, a game server I built that I host L4D and Counter strike games on, my media center with a touch screen control on the front and then my testing unit that is open and easy to change out parts and test them.

I'm a total geeky fish person. I have a computer that controls my lights, ac and appliances, soon I'm sure I'll have on dedicated measuring the fish water levels constantly and will text or email me when they are starting to get at a stressful level or change at all.

Attachments

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love cars. I currently have a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD as my daily driver and my uncle has a Chevy 383 that me an him are going to put into something (probably a camaro).

I love cooking too! It is a passion of mine. I especially love to cook for other people. I like to make fancy food and try out my own recipes.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
31 tanks! I can't even imagine how you keep up with maintenance. BB, you have so many pets I want to keep! I want to be obsessed with dogs and other furry animals but there are space limitations

On another note, I wonder if watching crime shows counts as an obsession.....^-^

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I get a new obsession about every month I spend alot of money on it and then I lose interest.

I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, my fish and frogs...but in the past 10 years i have kept every kind of animal imaginable.

I do cross stitching, and crafty stuff (in the past 3 years i have done every craft imaginable except scrapbooking).

I love forums, every time i get into something i join a forum all about it.

I like the roller derby and my goal is that next year I will try out for one of the leagues in my city.

lol my obsessions are endless!

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love smoking meat, nothing like ribs, bbq, and pulled pork.. I am a avid hunter, and I love working on computers. Last but not least I love my fishl.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
brokenwing said:
I love smoking meat, nothing like ribs, bbq, and pulled pork.. I am a avid hunter, and I love working on computers. Last but not least I love my fishl.
Smoking meat is one of my favorite things to do. Especially ribs. I am going to try doing a brisket next!

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I grow Carnivorous plants and Tropical Waterlilies. As well as plants in general.

alex

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Insects, insects, and more insects. According to my Member Bio or whatever on my Profile Page, I want to be an entomologist. (yes, an entomologist who has a fishroom)

I raise mosquitoes, bloodworms, silkworms, and ants, currently have a terrarium with 3 different species of grasshopper nymphs, a large and continuosly expanding insect collection, sugar for moths regularly, etc, etc, etc. Insects I've raised before include European mantids (Mantis religiosa), field crickets (Gryllus pennsylvanicus), Mediterranean katydids (Phaneroptera nana), and many more.

I also like art, especially ceramics, papercuts, and spriting little s on the computer.

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Elodea said:
Insects, insects, and more insects. According to my Member Bio or whatever on my Profile Page, I want to be an entomologist. (yes, an entomologist who has a fishroom)

I raise mosquitoes, bloodworms, silkworms, and ants, currently have a terrarium with 3 different species of grasshopper nymphs, a large and continuosly expanding insect collection, sugar for moths regularly, etc, etc, etc. Insects I've raised before include European mantids (Mantis religiosa), field crickets (Gryllus pennsylvanicus), Mediterranean katydids (Phaneroptera nana), and many more.

I also like art, especially ceramics, papercuts, and spriting little s on the computer.
Kinda ironic that you love the thing my plants eat,lol.

alex

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lol. And the exactly the things our fish keep high on their menus.

I'd like to see your carnivorous plants try to eat my 3-inch European mantis though. ;D

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Elodea said:
Lol. And the exactly the things our fish keep high on their menus.

I'd like to see your carnivorous plants try to eat my 3-inch European mantis though. ;D
Pitcher Plants get pretty big. I think they could do it.

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Monmouth said:
Pitcher Plants get pretty big. I think they could do it.
its not a question if it can, its will it, lol.:;bb

i just really wanted to use that icon.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hope your daughter's knee heals up soon.

My other current obsession besides fish at the moment is Pokemon games, GBA and DS I've gone through the Pokemon stage quite a few times over the last 10 or so years lol Over the past few days I've spent nearly $100 already on games. Today I've been bidding on ebay to get my hands on some old GBA games, and I plan to go to the 12am opening of a toy sale to buy a new DS lite tonight I maintain that the reason for my current obsession is because I never had a gameboy as a kid and am making up for it now

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OK, BB - I hope everything sorts itself out for you. You always pull through in the end. Shelby-get well soon

Wow, everyone has so much diversity here! I have the 3 horses and 2 cats to keep me busy as well of course as my fin pets!
I spend a fair amount of time on here (at work on the quiet!), and also admit I'm a bit of a DS freak too (I make no excuses, a 24 year old is perfectly entitled to it, plus I have a fish game to make it more relevant to FL lol)!! When I find a good book I can't put it down, and I used to be into art and stuff, but not for a long time now.

Not as exciting as the computer building or car building for example, but it keeps me going!

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
BB sounds like you keep yourself busy, lol. You truly do live in a zoo... you could start charging admission lol. Its nice how our hobbies keep us sane when things get tough. I hope that Shelby gets better soon. You should post some pics of your other critters when you get a chance.

Fish are my main obsession, but I also love knitting. I have knit ever since I was a kid and I have about 10 projects going all the time. I love being able to do it while I lounge on the couch and watch tv. I also like crafts of all kinds. I used to scrapbook a lot and my mom and I like to make jewelry together. For this Father's Day I made handmade greeting cards. I'm also a dance teacher, so of course I love dance as well

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My other obsessions are...uh...Vishous and the brotherhood.
Oh, and about 6 weeks ago, I got into RPing and writing. I'm a bit obsessed with that right now too. And I'm a music junkie.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads