Obligatory Finally Cycled Post!

RainbowAviator

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just had to share because I'm so excited! 4 weeks into my fishless cycle and my nitrites are finally at 0! Ran another dose of ammonia to make sure it's all being processed, and I tested for nitrites twice in a row to make sure I didn't get a lucky light blue reading. Almost didn't believe it haha.

My betta fish SushI is being delivered tomorrow- I also have a horned nerite snail on the way.

My boyfriend has been listening to my fish madness for the past few days and I'm so happy there are forums like this to share.

I'll update with some pictures once he is all settled in!

(Also, is it possible for complete beginners to acquire MultI Tank Syndrome so quickly? I can't stop learning about fish and inverts haha. I've even been peeking at the beginner saltwater threads.. don't tell the boyfriend.)

Spyder

Reaction score
RainbowAviator said:
Just had to share because I'm so excited! 4 weeks into my fishless cycle and my nitrites are finally at 0! Ran another dose of ammonia to make sure it's all being processed, and I tested for nitrites twice in a row to make sure I didn't get a lucky light blue reading. Almost didn't believe it haha.

My betta fish SushI is being delivered tomorrow- I also have a horned nerite snail on the way.

My boyfriend has been listening to my fish madness for the past few days and I'm so happy there are forums like this to share.

I'll update with some pictures once he is all settled in!

(Also, is it possible for complete beginners to acquire MultI Tank Syndrome so quickly? I can't stop learning about fish and inverts haha. I've even been peeking at the beginner saltwater threads.. don't tell the boyfriend.)
Congrats! LOL, Yes it is 100% possible and I'm proof. Prior to about 4-5 weeks ago, I had 0 interest in fish. Long story short, we went from goldfish that my kids won at the fair (one lived for an hour, the other 24 hours) to 2x 10 gallon tanks w/ Betta & Panda Cories in their rooms AND I'm looking into a 75-125g tank for our lounge room as early as next month. MTS is no joke! lol

OP
RainbowAviator

RainbowAviator

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Spyder said:
Congrats! LOL, Yes it is 100% possible and I'm proof. Prior to about 4-5 weeks ago, I had 0 interest in fish. Long story short, we went from goldfish that my kids won at the fair (one lived for an hour, the other 24 hours) to 2x 10 gallon tanks w/ Betta & Panda Cories in their rooms AND I'm looking into a 75-125g tank for our lounge room as early as next month. MTS is no joke! lol

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I fell in love with a pair of clownfish I see regularly at my Petco and I really like the idea of having a peaceful community freshwater tank. So many possibilities and if I had the space, money and time...

I see a fish room in my future, someday!

What kind of fish are you looking at for the lounge room? Happy to live vicariously through others getting new fish, for now. Haha

Benfreshwater

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's is definitely contagious once you have one you'll not want to stop. I have a 30gal in my living room and a 10gal in the hallway with various fish in them both like Golden Gouramis, rosy barb's, platies, Cory's and a pleco. There's so many fish to choose from you literally are spoilt for choice in this hobby!

Spyder

Reaction score
RainbowAviator said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one! I fell in love with a pair of clownfish I see regularly at my Petco and I really like the idea of having a peaceful community freshwater tank. So many possibilities and if I had the space, money and time...

I see a fish room in my future, someday!

What kind of fish are you looking at for the lounge room? Happy to live vicariously through others getting new fish, for now. Haha
Not entirely sure what type of fish I'll put in the future big tank yet! I love the thought of a big Cichlid or 2 but my wife thinks they're ugly and terrifying lol. I know my kids would love a saltwater tank with a Nemo themselves, but the royal blue tang (Dory) seems to be on the higher-end of the care spectrum and I'd feel guilty as a total newbie if something went wrong. Who knows! Look for a future post from me saying something like "Help! New tank setup and NO CLUE what to put in it!" LOL

OP
RainbowAviator

RainbowAviator

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Spyder said:
Not entirely sure what type of fish I'll put in the future big tank yet! I love the thought of a big Cichlid or 2 but my wife thinks they're ugly and terrifying lol. I know my kids would love a saltwater tank with a Nemo themselves, but the royal blue tang (Dory) seems to be on the higher-end of the care spectrum and I'd feel guilty as a total newbie if something went wrong. Who knows! Look for a future post from me saying something like "Help! New tank setup and NO CLUE what to put in it!" LOL
My mom had oscar's when I was a kid, I thought they were so funny and had lots of personality. Maybe if you can get her to check 'em out in person they won't seem so scary! So many colors too! Or you could do angelfish, or gouramis, or goldfish.... Haha! Saltwater tanks are intimidating but really fun to learn about, maybe in a year or two. I'll keep an eye out for that post

Jayda97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hes so beautiful!! Hows his home looking? Any snail friends yet?

OP
RainbowAviator

RainbowAviator

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jayda97 said:
hes so beautiful!! Hows his home looking? Any snail friends yet?
Thank you! I have a little bit of algae right now but I'm hoping the snails will eat it up, SushI seems like a super laid back guy (he loves to just watch the snails). I'm thinking of trying a few cherry shrimp, hoping he will leave them alone. And if not well.. he got a very pretty snack.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best but I'll try to get some better ones soon!

Attachments

Jayda97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RainbowAviator said:
Thank you! I have a little bit of algae right now but I'm hoping the snails will eat it up, SushI seems like a super laid back guy (he loves to just watch the snails). I'm thinking of trying a few cherry shrimp, hoping he will leave them alone. And if not well.. he got a very pretty snack.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best but I'll try to get some better ones soon!
I absolutely love it!!! Mine lived fine with shrimp for months and months. Then got flare happy for a couple days with them and suddenly they were gone lol poor little things

Irv

Reaction score
MultI tank syndrome is legit, and I feel like more likely to happen early on as you're learning about fish and you keep stumbling upon all these new fish you want. I started my first one like 3 or 4 months ago now and would have literally a house full by now if it wouldn't lead to immediate divorce. Lol I have however convinced my wife to let me start setting up 3 more tanks now

New Threads