Obese Or Pregnant Betta?

1. L

Laureno457 New Member Member

IMG_2574.JPG image.jpg Hey everyone,
    I need some help on detecting if my female betta is obese or pregnant.
    I have read multiple articles to see how betta breeding works so Im well prepared if it does happen.
    The last time she was in contact with my male bettta was a month ago. Right now she lives in my 20g tropical aquarium with my 6 other fish. When I found out she was getting big, I would put her into a net in the water to separate her while feeding the other fish. I have been giving her 2 pellets per day for a month now but no change.
    If she is pregnant or obsese, can you tell me some solutions to fixing this problem?

2. Sushi'skeeper

Sushi'skeeper Valued Member Member

She's not pregnant. Bettas fish eggs hatch in 36-48 hours, so if she had contact with a male a month ago, she's definitely not pregnant. Also, when breeding, the males tend to squeeze the eggs out of the female and into the bubble nest.

Can we get a picture from the top view, please?

3. OP
    OP
    L

IMG_3256.JPG
    Thank you. Your response is very helpful. I didnt think she was but a lot of articles say different things so I was confused. I cant get a good photo from under her. Hope this is good enough

4. Sushi'skeeper

Sushi'skeeper Valued Member Member

Wait you said she was around a male? She's gravid(egg bound)! I don't think it necessarily means she's pregnant, but sometimes, when a female gets around a male, they become super full of eggs. It's like when a male sees a female, he sometimes builds a bubblenest.

What will probably happen overtime(if you chose not to breed her)her eggs will become to old to fertilize and she will reabsorb them.

Some people take gravid females and place them on a damp washcloth and very gently squeeze the eggs out with like a wet Qtip. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Your sweet girl is alright! If it were me, I'd feed her more than 2 pellets per day. I feed mine 6 pellets per day. 2 in the morning, 2 in afternoon, and 2 at night!

5. OP
    OP
    L

That helps me a lot! I dont think I will try to squeeze the eggs out. But Im really glad shes okay and will feed her more food.