Ob Peacock Fry Advice

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've raised a few batches of OB peacocks just fine and now those fry have matured to the point of having their own fry. Now I've got 3 batches of OB fry going but they are not turning out as I'd hoped. 2 batches are from the main pair and the youngest batch is from the oldest daughter of said pair.

The problem is, they don't look like OB peacocks. There's a good portion of the fry that are not getting the marbled OB look. They look like run of the mill peacock fry with vertical baring. This wouldn't be a problem if it was only a couple out of each spawn but I'd say about half are not looking very OB.

I netted at random, the largest fry and a few others are not getting the marbled pattern.
IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

This happened in the first spawn, there were 2 that looked like plain old peacocks. I kept one and he's very plain looking despite being a male. Plain male and sister up top.
IMG_3877.JPG

Dad/grandpa and mom/grandma, holding again.
OB peacock blue.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

Is it even worth waiting for the fry to grow a bit more to see if they are OB or should I just not waste my time and cull the ones that are less than what I'm going for? These fry will be going to a good pet store once they are around 1.5-2in.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only advice I can give you is, mix up the gene pool. I was just talking to the owner of my LFS about how they only send him 6 OB’s a week max, and how it must be hard to produce bright colored males.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kolby Holdren said:
Do you have a picture of the "best" male from either of the first broods?
I do, he was being shy and no he is not holding, his mouth is just full of cauliflower His colors don't show up the best but that's because he is not a dominant male. This strain in particular is almost all blue, he looks pretty much like dad.
IMG_3885.JPG

AquaticJ said:
The only advice I can give you is, mix up the gene pool. I was just talking to the owner of my LFS about how they only send him 6 OB’s a week max, and how it must be hard to produce bright colored males.
I have another male I'd like to breed all the females to, but that is kinda hard to accomplish when this male is submissive to the blue boy. I'll have to move the male and females to another tank and try it that way.
2 male OB peacocks.JPG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I ended up culling the non OB fry and will be putting things on hold till these fry are older. I won’t be pulling anymore fry for a while but will see about moving the orange male into a separate tank with the females. I just need to empty a tank first

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i have a beutiful OB male and i bought three females, but in the first batch i got one regular grey female peacock she is almost at maturity but has no color other than grey and a stripe of orange on the edge of the dorsal fin. i guess the OB genes carry some sort of normal peacock gene too.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
After culling all but a couple of the non OB fry things are looking good. I'm seeing a lot of blue shimmering on the gill plates of many fry, but they are still pretty far from being accurately sexed.

Today I've also got a female holding from my orange OB male. He spawned with another female a week ago but she was a first timer and didn't hold them for more than a few days. The first timer and her older sister are both looking plump but it might be a while before they spawn. I'll be getting things ready for the new batches while I wait.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lots of fry from the orange male that are showing good patterns. Down side is I’ve noticed a few with slightly kinked tails and a good portion with funky pectoral fins. I’ve culled out most the non-OB fry and all the ones with funky tails. About 20 are in a 29gal and another 20ish in a 36gal. They are from two females.
944DF2A4-A0BF-4AE0-ABBC-AAA91C78AA27.jpeg
F994FCA6-8F73-4273-8072-8CA99B5F43C6.jpeg

This batch will be an experiment, I’ll be paying closer attention to the fin shapes to see which female may be producing the deformed ones. It may be the male’s genes too, which would be a bummer.
9BBBBE44-6253-40E6-ACBE-815392B337C5.jpeg

A not so up to date pic of my favorite male from the blue boy. He and the other 14 or so went into the display tank. They’re growing faster there.
54A48EBD-1B44-4D58-81FF-3A3B38360894.jpeg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Males are showing color from the orange male’s batch. There’re both light and dark bodied fish and some have a higher density of OB markings.
FE948361-7803-4D02-B41C-D3D95B27C1BE.jpeg

DCD43D71-A8A7-40B1-8E96-3452650747DC.jpeg

I cannot get a good pic of this male, he won’r hold still at all.
344E2C6A-0BB3-4153-8182-34E530D2C989.jpeg

7B3C3761-7E43-496E-B88C-82CB828CCA3B.jpeg

I’ve separated them into my personal top pics and the less pretty ones. I’ll have to add more to the “better” 29gal soon as I keep seeing some nice ones in the “lesser” tank. All but a few non-OB fry have been culled as have the runty and poorly patterned. I’ll have to comb through them again.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They're at breeding size now and I've got 2 batches from a blue female that spawned with one of the orange male's sons.

I'm working on selling these little buggers now and they look fantastic IMO. There's a dark boy with a touch of orange that I may end up keeping.

ryang85

Reaction score
I have a batch of OB s that have a few greys in the mix so I'm curious to see what the males turn into. I was hoping that they would turn all blue from the aulonocara nyassae part of the OB strain. They are about an inch and half long and showing no color so I'm losing hope. The dominant OB male is just starting to color up and some others are showing color while the greys only have a sliver of blue on their gill plate.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From my experience the non OB males do turn mostly blue but only if they are dominant. Otherwise submissive males will just have a blue face. Nice looking youngsters!

ryang85

Reaction score
Demeter said:
From my experience the non OB males do turn mostly blue but only if they are dominant. Otherwise submissive males will just have a blue face. Nice looking youngsters!
Thanks for that info, maby I'll stick the bigger male with 3 or 4 grey females and see if he colors up.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’s been a while since an update. The little OBs are now having their own babies. I’ve sold several on ebay and the growout tank is finally thinning out a bit.

The last blue spawn may not be very blue at all. None are looking like the blue OBs I’ve raised before, perhaps the pink male was the father.

“Blue” spawn.
B9F35B9A-F424-4A5A-B1FF-ED2005DFB04B.jpeg
78CFDD1E-CFF7-464F-BCFC-5012CD269AFC.jpeg

Pink spawn, which has thrown a few blues as well. Lots of males and all looking fantastic.
A4CEC2FF-E60F-469F-A7F7-8D8495424709.jpeg
859B7EA2-2747-4E9F-AB1E-FED25AF525BD.jpeg
AAE26A89-78DA-4A58-AD57-1C0C9FE8B741.jpeg
2715DB18-E98D-411C-8F70-67BAC0D4E0DC.jpeg
A07BF6B0-A1FA-4470-A3F2-C498FEB5F53B.jpeg

Bonus pic of a male that I bought about a year ago. Took the little guy ages to finally color up. He has more red than pink, might use him in the next round.
2A7CC6DA-57B8-43CA-A02C-E60D0D9353FE.jpeg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Demeter said:
It’s been a while since an update. The little OBs are now having their own babies. I’ve sold several on ebay and the growout tank is finally thinning out a bit.

The last blue spawn may not be very blue at all. None are looking like the blue OBs I’ve raised before, perhaps the pink male was the father.

“Blue” spawn.
View attachment 638150View attachment 638155
Pink spawn, which has thrown a few blues as well. Lots of males and all looking fantastic.View attachment 638151View attachment 638152View attachment 638153View attachment 638156View attachment 638157

Bonus pic of a male that I bought about a year ago. Took the little guy ages to finally color up. He has more red than pink, might use him in the next round.
View attachment 638154
I read somewhere that OB Peacocks don't even start showing their true blotches until 2-3 inches long and true color may not show up until when later. I've never raised them. The OB Mbunas I have haven't spawned or aren't very good parents.

ryang85

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
I read somewhere that OB Peacocks don't even start showing their true blotches until 2-3 inches long and true color may not show up until when later. I've never raised them. The OB Mbunas I have haven't spawned or aren't very good parents.
OBs follow a lot more similar to their peacock side instead of the mbuna, one or two domant males show color very early( around 1.5 to 2 inches) then the others won't show much until those males are removed or they get bigger. There blotches will change a little as they grow but it's not noticable unless you compare pictures closely.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
ryang85 said:
OBs follow a lot more similar to their peacock side instead of the mbuna, one or two domant males show color very early( around 1.5 to 2 inches) then the others won't show much until those males are removed or they get bigger. There blotches will change a little as they grow but it's not noticable unless you compare pictures closely.

Once mine got their patterns (around 1-1.25in) they didn't chance much, just got color as they matured. There are still a few smaller fish that I suspect to be male but they haven't shown much color, I did mix in some younger fry a while back so that's probably them. As for some males not showing color, that is to be expected when other dominant males are present. I've been picking the most dominant males when I make a sale on ebay, trying to keep the peace until I get them all off my hands.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom