Oaty Great White Pipe Joint Compound - Toxic Or Not?

Soarin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! I just recently built a 20g sump for my 40 breeder and I've made myself a weir that's all dry fit, it drips slightly right now and I'm coming close to sealing it. I've got Oaty Great White Pipe Joint Compound and I was wondering the toxicity to fish with this. Has anybody got any experience with it?

Thank you!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used two products by Oaty(forgot which ones) for my 125 Goldie tank.

One was to clean the pipes and the other one stuck the pipes together and dried as purple.

After it dried, it was perfectly safe.

Soarin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wonder if this is safe, this specific Oaty product doesn't actually dry but it stays pasty so it creates a seal. It can be used as soon as you apply it too, I'm just worried for my fish.

Soarin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
\
yukondog said:
I would not trust it, what you have in the trade is called pipe dope, if you want to seal the joints why not use aquarium silicone. You know that is safe.
I do have aquarium silicone on hand I can use, I guess my main problem is my setup isn't 100% done and if I want to move PVC around I'd have to break that seal and wait another 24 hours between my changes. I'd rather not take the chance with my fish though, thanks for the silicone suggestion I didn't think to use it on PVC.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom