Oak Leaves Or Catappa?

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I used to get Catalpa leaves from the store and was curious if I could just use leaves from my local trees to add tannins and lower my pH I live in Central Illinois lots of Oaks lots of Maples and walnuts. Any advice or information would be great!

I also just read an article saying not to collect them in the spring.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use magnolia, they don't stain the water as brown, more yellow.
I personally love Almond, Oak, and Walnut.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can use dried oak leafs but they aren't as effective as indian almond. They seems to work just fine though, I have oak in many of my betta and shrimp tanks. The shrimp and snails love eating the decaying leafs and the bettas like building bubble nests and hiding among them. It won't do too much to soften the water unless you add a ton of leafs but they will stain the water a little bit.

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Personally I enjoy a black water setup. I had a 55 with blue Rams a few years ago when I first used catappa and the water in there was almost a deep red. Thanks for the info and thanks for the leaf I'll definitely read up

And unfortunately magnolias are only in people's yards here

Süßwasserfisch

Valued Member
Reaction score
So the link above told me I could only collect dry leaves in the fall... Is that true? Because we have thousands of Oaks where I am. It would be nothing to walk outside and get some

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't want to use fresh leaves, they contain all the fluids that can be harmful to the fish. I only collect leaves that fell in autumn, they are already dried so no worries there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom