O2 in 10Gal tank

1. dkchandler Initiate Member

I have a 10gal tank, do I need to add an air pump???
    It has a filter that trickles water back into the tank.

Thanks,

Danny

2. Adz Member Member

Hey Danny,

air pumps aren't a must, they are more for looks :)
    I have the same size tank and my fish werent to keen on the air pump i've got so i took it out. they seemed to just swim around it. in a tank that size they need the whole tank to play in.

Happy fishin' :D

3. dkchandler Initiate Member

Thanks for the input! I have been having problems with fish dying and white cloudy water.
    I am trying to rule out everything and find the cause. I think my problem may be because we did no let the water cycle, we dropped the fish in 5 minutes after filling with water. :-(
    We also do not have a heater, do you think I need a heater???? The water varies from 82 in the day to 75 ish at night. 82 is from the lights in the lid.

Thanks again for the input....

Danny

4. Craig Well Known Member Member

i would get a heater just in case and u need 2 let ur tank cycle

5. Adz Member Member

The white cloudyness could also be from dropping too many fish in there at once as well as not letting your tank cycle. the best way to cycle your tank is to feed it a few flakes every 12 hours. do this for at least a week, i did it for two.

6. dkchandler Initiate Member

Yes, I did not know anything about the cycle when I purchased the tank / fish.
    We had 5 fish to start with and all are dead but one bala shark. :-(

Danny

7. swimfan Member Member

Hang in there Danny, it takes a while to learn all there is to learn! Don't be too hard on yourself and just keep reading and asking questions!

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Danny,
    Your bala shark is gonna get way too big for that tank, but for now, let's just deal with getting your tank cycled. You need to get some test kits so you know where you are in the cycle process and when you need to do water changes when your levels get toxic, so the bala doesn't go to heaven with your other fishies. My recommendation would be to get a master test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals like this one:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=2255

I have also heard that you can go on PetSmart's website and find this master test kit, copy the page with the price shown (I think it's $15.00), take it to your local PetSmart, and they will sell you one for that price. I think they normally sell at your lfs for $30.00.

You will definately need a heater for your tank whenever you have any tropical fish. My favorites are the stainless steel or titanium types because they don't break, and most of them have a separate temp. controller that sits outside of the tank. I have 3 of these and love them except mine at 300 watt heaters:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22417;category_id=3059

The general rule is 5 watts per gallon to determine which size heater you need, so your tank would need a 50 watt heater.

You don't absolutely need an air stone or bubbler of some type in your tank. The bubbles don't actually put the oxygen in the water, but do cause the water's surface to agitate, causing the oxygen exchange. If your filter is causing a pretty good set of ripples or movement at the surface, the air pump and air ston is not necessary. Some folks just like the way they look also.

The cloudiness you are experiencing is probably a bacterial bloom, but you can't be sure what's going on with your tank unless you have the proper test kits or master test kit to know where you are in the cycle. Hope this helps, and let us know what your readings are in your tank. It would be nice if you could post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels for us to help you more. ;)

9. Adz Member Member

how fast do the bala sharks grow?

slow enough to save up for a 40gal tank?

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

11. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Danny, my advise to you is to keep doing reasearch. Get hold of every book at your library even remotely to do with fish keeping, and see what you can find on the internet (start with this site). Learn everything you possibly can, and then learn some more. All the info will be overwhelming and you may get discouraged at times, but don't give up because the end result will be a beautiful fish tank! Trust me, I have gone through it all, but I think fish are totally worth the time and effort.

12. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I agree completely. Most of my research has been online. I have become a forums junkie, and post quite regularly on most of them. Look around this site and read the articles and other stuff here besides just posting on the forums. You may also want to look at other forums that specialize in a certain type of species or group of fish. A lot of the information is based on experience, and some ways of doing things is not what's best for your situation, but at least if you have other opinions, you can decide what's best for your tank. Check out aquarank for some other sites. Pretty soon you will be so hooked, you will be going to 10 a day like a sponge wanting to learn all you can. It's a sickness I tell ya! One that no one here is gonna help you cure! ;)