Nymphoides Hygrophylla (aka Sp. 'taiwan')

1. SeattleRoy

SeattleRoy Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +298
    Nymphoides hygrophylla (aka sp. 'Taiwan') first was identified in 1851 in Asia however really started to become popular in the hobby around 2010 when it showed up at the bi-annual Aquatic Gardener's Convention.

N. hygrophylla is closely related to a well know aquarium plant, the Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica). In fact, N. hydrophylla is sometimes called the "banana-less banana plant". The leaves look very similar but N. hydrophylla leaves are softer and more flexible. It is tolerate of water both alkaline and acid water conditions. I have grown it in soft and moderately hard water as well as low (PAR@30) to high light (PAR@90+). It grows well with average nutrients and does not require the use of CO2.

With good growing conditions new plantlets will form at the leaf blade / petiole junction. The plantlets grow quickly and after 2 or 3 leaves have been formed the leaf petiole can be removed from the plant, the plantlet separated from the leaf and petiole, and planted. In my tanks plantlets will be 2"-3" tall but can grow to over 24" tall if not 'thinned'.

The only drawback with Nymphoides hygrophylla is that it does not ship easily, which is why the Florida aquatic nurseries likely do not grow and distribute the species so it is unlikely to been seen in the typical local fish store. Until recently it has only been found among more avid plant enthusiasts on planted tank forums but I have recently learned that tissue cultures of this species may be coming soon.

Nymphoides hygrophylla (aka sp. 'Taiwan') smaller specimen
    25592958942_be7c9bb27b_b.jpg

Nymphoides hygrophylla (aka sp. 'Taiwan') in a 24" tall tank
    25620470111_36b0c02c6e_b.jpg

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,125
    I really love this plant. I'll have to be on the look out for some online. :) Thanks for sharing!

3. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,689
    Great write up, thanks!

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Tropica already has some Nymphoides hydrophylla 'taiwan' - I was able to get mine at a LFS in another city a year ago :)
    It's pretty much the easiest plant I've ever grown, direct low light is fine (mine is under an Ikea Jansjo), it grows super fast, about 0.5 cm a day under very low tech, and when I had it with CO2 and med-high lighting it grew nearly an inch a day. In low tech it responds very well to excel and other glut products as well, though it is hardly required. Once it grows to the surface in shorter tanks, the leaves act like tiny lily pads.
    Mine's downfall was moving, like you said it responds quite badly to it. Every replant caused melting, and I must have done something extra bad one time, because it melted and didn't grow back.
    I was kicking myself though, because they're super easy to propagate. Cutting a leaf off about 1-2 inches down the stem from the top allows it to grow roots out of the stem, and a new plant will grow.

The ones you sent me are doing excellent, they melted save for one leaf on each stem, and are growing again :D

5. ExoticAquaristic

ExoticAquaristic Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I only see this in your post. Do this reproduce through runners? like goto cola?

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Not really runners, little plantlets form under the leaves, or leaves that are cut at the stem will usually grow roots for propagation.

7. OP
    OP
    SeattleRoy

SeattleRoy Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +298
    Hi @ExoticAquaristic,

-Mak- is correct, the plants form at the stem/leaf junction. Not every stem will form a plantlet, for me about 25% of the leaves that are formed will have plantlets develop.

8. Compatability

Compatability Member Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Me too it's beautiful, if you find any let me know and I will do as well!

9. Lissi Kat

Lissi Kat Member Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Dennerle do this in vitro. It comes in as tiny little plantlets I just got some recenrly

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted