Nutty Panda Cory Behaviour

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by CraniumRex, Apr 15, 2018.

1. CraniumRex

CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

I have 9 panda cory juveniles I just moved from a 10g qt to a 29g tank.

They are way more active in this tank and I’d seen them do the hairpin turn at the surface in the 10g but they are all over the 29. Is it common for them to swim at all levels and race all over from side to side or is something wrong?

Edited to add: parameters are 0 0 5, temp 75

2. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

They can get it into their heads that they want to scramble all over the place for a bit before they mellow out and just hang together in a corner. I find it remarkably similar to how Doxies and Doxie mixes suddenly feel like doing laps around the house or even on a sofa ;)

3. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

are they "glass surfing" back and forth along the front? they're just getting used to their new digs. do you have nice substrate for them to dig in? if so i bet they'll settle in soon enough. our sterbai did the same. and still do sometimes...especially after feeding time.

4. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Not a lot of glass surfing - some - but this is just as @endlercollector has described it — mad scrambling. I was hoping it was shaking their wiggles out before bed but didn’t want to misinterpret it!

They have a lovely soft dark sand. So far they still do that “everybody freeze!” thing they did when I first got them when I come into the room, (making me panic that they were all dead!) but I spy on them with an infrared camera I had as a baby monitor (still is, I guess, just different babies!)

5. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

we've seen that too - when we first put them into the QT they did it for 2 weeks straight. up and down the sides and back and forth never really resting on the bottom. now in their home tank they are being "normal". it helped having a big tank, fine sand substrate, and a bigger school. that settled them all down. now they're spawning!!!

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

They're just adapting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice