Question Nutrients For Plants

MJK

Reaction score
Hello to all senior plant keepers out there.

I am a beginner with a 15 gallon tank and I started keeping some plants in my tank. Some of the beginner plants like hornwort, anubias, water sprite, anacharis, duckweed, pothos,hair grass.,java fern.

Well, I did have success growing hornwort, duckweed and water sprite as they are fast growing plants. But recently I have a doubt, I believe these plants absorb nutrients from my tank water to grow. Will it reach a stage whereby there is no more nutrients left in my water? What will happen? Well to clarify, I do not use C02 and fertiliser, current substrate is sand only.

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are close to no nutrients in regular tap water and a limited amount that come from the fish in your aquarium. There will be a stage when the plants exhaust all the nutrients from the water. In order to prevent this from happening, I recommend picking up something like Thrive by NilocG from amazon or ebay. It's an all in one plant fert that has all essential nutrients. But whatever you do, don't pickup Seachem flourish. It's a waste of money and contains little to no nutrients

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Short answer, yes, they will "run out".

Thrive is a good, simple, and budget friendly option to ensure your plants have what they need available to them..

Mollieworld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am not an expert on plants at all, in fact I too am a beginner I have been reading reviews on my LFS "homemade" fert and it sounds amazing! I am going to try it and thought I would share it with you
Easy Green All in One Fertilizer

OP
M

MJK

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help, for my plants I will need to get the all in one fertiliser, how about lighting ? I have read about PAR, PUR. But I am just using a DIY led light, 12 bulbs of 1W each. Currently yes the plants look stable, so I assume the light is OK also?

Mollieworld said:
I am not an expert on plants at all, in fact I too am a beginner I have been reading reviews on my LFS "homemade" fert and it sounds amazing! I am going to try it and thought I would share it with you
Easy Green All in One Fertilizer
What's the home made fertiliser you made?

Mollieworld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
MJK said:
What's the home made fertiliser you made?
It's not mine it's in the link...it's from my LFS, they made their own. Cory from Aquarium Co op sells this ....great reviews!

MJK said:
Thanks everyone for the help, for my plants I will need to get the all in one fertiliser, how about lighting ? I have read about PAR, PUR. But I am just using a DIY led light, 12 bulbs of 1W each. Currently yes the plants look stable, so I assume the light is OK also?
I heard that they prefer red light? Like the LED style of light with some red lights in them? Experts, is this true?

OP
M

MJK

Reaction score
Vishaquatics said:
There are close to no nutrients in regular tap water and a limited amount that come from the fish in your aquarium. There will be a stage when the plants exhaust all the nutrients from the water. In order to prevent this from happening, I recommend picking up something like Thrive by NilocG from amazon or ebay. It's an all in one plant fert that has all essential nutrients. But whatever you do, don't pickup Seachem flourish. It's a waste of money and contains little to no nutrients
Have u tried ApI Leaf zone before? Any reviews?

Mollieworld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have, that's what I have now....I think it's ok..but again I don't have any experience and don't have anything to compare it to. I have some new growth but I do still have a lot of melting. So I don't know if I'm doing something wrong myself or if that's natural and I need to do more plant maintenance to clean them up...unsure lol

OP
M

MJK

Reaction score
Mollieworld said:
I heard that they prefer red light? Like the LED style of light with some red lights in them? Experts, is this true?
Well I heard of this fertiliser before, so currently my situation is I am unsure which fertiliser is good

Mollieworld said:
I have, that's what I have now....I think it's ok..but again I don't have any experience and don't have anything to compare it to. I have some new growth but I do still have a lot of melting. So I don't know if I'm doing something wrong myself or if that's natural and I need to do more plant maintenance to clean them up...unsure lol
Hmm, is your tank with aquasoil and C02?

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thrive has become the go to all in one fert in the hobby. Not that there aren't other good ones. Thrive is proven time and time to be a great fertilizer. I've heard good things about Easy Green but have never personally used it. I used to use Thrive for a couple years with good results. Eventually once you have a good understand of ferts you can move onto dry fertilizers for more precise dosing. But to start I personally would recommend Thrive

OP
M

MJK

Reaction score
Mollieworld said:
No, I have gravel and sand. The plants are in the gravel. No CO2.
Hey Mollieworld, I have checked out ApI leave zone, it only contains potassium and iron. Unless u have a heavy bioload for nutrient from your fish, else this fertiliser is worse than seachem flourish. But since u are getting the aquarium coop fertiliser, I think that is a good fertiliser with many good reviews

Mollieworld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
MJK said:
Hey Mollieworld, I have checked out ApI leave zone, it only contains potassium and iron. Unless u have a heavy bioload for nutrient from your fish, else this fertiliser is worse than seachem flourish. But since u are getting the aquarium coop fertiliser, I think that is a good fertiliser with many good reviews
Good thinking! Yes I will be comparing Thrive with Easy Green and compare ingredients, That may be why I'm getting a lot of melting and slow growing leaves. I have also put in the flourish tabs for the root fert so maybe that is slowly helping but need more water column nutrients. I don't have a large bioload of fish at the moment so that is a very good observation that I didn't even think about.

New Threads