Nutrients For Plants In An All Sand Tank

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by blissfulbunny, Apr 7, 2017.

1. blissfulbunny

blissfulbunnyValued MemberMember

Any suggestions on the best plant tabs/sticks and liquid fertilizer to use in a planted, all sand 29 tank? Any other products I should consider as well?

PS I am also considering a CO2 setup.

Any suggestions on the best plant tabs/sticks and liquid fertilizer to use in a planted, all sand 29 tank (Tahitian Moon Sand). Any other products I should consider as well? Like iron or etc.?

How is this (or similar) CO2 additive? Or do I have to consider a possible CO2 setup?

8.2 high range pH

Again, no fish yet, thus zeroes.

I will be adding plants soon. There are no fish yet (I'm working on getting cycled).

Thanks fish peeps!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  2. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

You have the same PH as me, you could also get the KH and GH tests if you want to see a bigger picture for hardness. I have very hard water, my KH and GH are also on the high end. Most fish can adapt to hard water, except for wild caught and sensitive fish like Discus. PH Down will simply make your PH swing, which can kill fish. It's best to have a stable PH.

Now as far as CO2 goes, I personally don't use it at all. My plants are all low light plants there are tons that can work with low light. Some of my favorites would be the various types of crypts, different anubias, different mosses, and water whisteria. For my setup I have a finnex planted plus led lights, I use osmocote root tabs, and api liquid fertilizer. I don't use iron since my plants don't have red leaves.

3. MudSkipper

MudSkipperValued MemberMember

4. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Root tabs for heavy root feeders are good.
    CO2 boosters work, but aren't actual CO2 and therefore are less effective than real CO2. You don't need a CO2 setup if you get easy, low light plants.
    If you do use a CO2 setup, DIY or pressurized, you'll need good comprehensive ferts.

5. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

blissfulbunnyValued MemberMember

Great info here. It really helps me. What a learning curve for this hobby!

I did order the KH/GH kit. I will likely focus on medium to lower light plants. I'm not putting a lot in, and want an open feeling without constant cutting. I'll be doing nano fish, and want as much room as possible for schooling in my 29. (I want a school of corys and a school of rummynose tetra, then we'll see).

Thanks again:watching:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice