10 Gallon Tank Nutrients for plants in a shrimp tank

Leeman75
I really debated on where to post this thread...plants, fertilizer, nitrogen cycle, shrimp, or freshwater fish as it really touches all points. Mods, feel free to move it if you see fit, but here goes....

In the true fish-keeper spirit of never being satisfied, now that I have zero nitrates consistently in my well planted shrimp tank, I'm worried that there is not going to be enough nutrients to keep the plants healthy. I have ThriveC that I can dose, but I worry about that raising the nitrates too much for the shrimp. I wouldn't mind adding a little more action to the tank with a/some fish, but I really want to minimize any baby shrimp snacks, so it would need to be a really nano fish.

I have a lot of Salvini, Duckweed, and Pennywort floating and growing on top as well as Anacharis, Guppy Grass, susswassertang, so I 'm sure it's really zapping all those nitrates quickly.

What's my best course of action here?

Pfrozen
Are the plants healthy though?

0 nitrates simply means that there is no excess. It doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't enough. My one tank is now having problems with N deficiency but that's after running 0 nitrates for months and only because the giant pothos growing out of it got too big.

That being said, if you start to notice problems definitely dose more N. Switch to an all in one fert with some N in it or dose dry on top of what you do already

Cherryshrimp420
Just feed more

Leeman75
Well, that may be what I need to do, is actually actively start feeding them something. I've just been letting them eat all the algae, biofilm, and such as that is what it seemed that a lot of places said they would enjoy. I have algae wafers that I've thrown in a couple of times when the plants were more getting established, but they didn't seem to go over well.

Convoluted77
I have a ton of shrimp in both low nitrate(0-10) and higher nitrate (20-40 consistently) tanks and tbh I notice no difference.They thrive and reproduce like crazy in both.Recommended doses of invert-safe water column ferts,root tabs and occassional excel doesn't seem to bother them one bit.
Lots of nano fish work well with shrimp but pretty much any fish is capable of snacking on a shrimplet.If you have a healthy population of breeding shrimp then you'll most likely see your shrimp numbers increase rapidly even with some losses.If you are just getting a colony going and want maximum survival then I would hold off on adding any fish until you have your colony going strong.

Cherryshrimp420
Leeman75 said:
Well, that may be what I need to do, is actually actively start feeding them something. I've just been letting them eat all the algae, biofilm, and such as that is what it seemed that a lot of places said they would enjoy. I have algae wafers that I've thrown in a couple of times when the plants were more getting established, but they didn't seem to go over well.
Try fish food, or boiled vegetables

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom