Nutrients besides root tabs to start off my planted tank?

BlockHead1981

dcutl002

You could use lava rock. Basically you crush it into small pieces with a hammer. Wear safety glasses! This gives stem plants' roots something to cling to plus it is very porous allowing spaces for bacteria to grow. Just put the Fluval Stratum on top.

PeterFishKeepin

ive seen and heard many people get a bunch of root tabs and then crush them up into little bits and it some into powder then sprinkle it around the substrate and where your gonna plant then cap it with the Fluval stratum, that way you can get more surface area covered with less root tabs.

GlennO

Im looking for something to lay at the bottom of the tank before I add substrate. Ive seen people use powder but I can find the videos lol. I will be using liquid ferts as well, I will look into these. Thanks
What would be the purpose of such a base? Are you worried that Stratum on its own is too light? As for other plants there are so many to choose from, especially for a high tech tank. I like S. repens for its bright green colour and versatility. It’s a taller growing carpeting plant that could be used behind the Monte Carlo.

BlockHead1981

ive seen and heard many people get a bunch of root tabs and then crush them up into little bits and it some into powder then sprinkle it around the substrate and where your gonna plant then cap it with the Fluval stratum, that way you can get more surface area covered with less root tabs.
I have a 40 pack of Seachem Root Tabs, Im going to give it a try
What would be the purpose of such a base? Are you worried that Stratum on its own is too light? As for other plants there are so many to choose from, especially for a high tech tank. I like S. repens for its bright green colour and versatility. It’s a taller growing carpeting plant that could be used behind the Monte Carlo.
Not worried, just want to take advantage that I am going to setup the tank for the first time and I dont plan on breaking it down for as long as I can. I want to give myself the best possible start. Im sure the stratum and root tabs and co2 will be more than enought but I've seen people use a type of powder fert as a base or even osmocote.

GlennO

Well you could use a long lasting base such as lava rock as previously mentioned but within a couple of years the Stratum will be turning to silt so you’ll have to take it all out anyway. I don’t think powdered ferts would last long enough or provide enough benefit to make it worthwhile.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Shrimpee
  • Question
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies