Nutrient Deficiencies

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DaleM, Apr 12, 2018.

1. DaleM

DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Hi all,

I'm new to planted tanks and am running a very low tech set up, but will eventually go mid tech and perhaps start running some CO2.

Tank has been running for 7 months: 130L (34.5 Gallon) 90x37x42cm (42cm high)

At the moment I have:

1x Amazon Sword (in tank for 2 weeks)
    3x Java Fern (2 weeks - split from 1 plant)
    3x Hygrophila corymbosa (I now know these aren't true aquatic plants - been in tank 6-7 months)
    1x Banana Plant/Lily (2 weeks)
    1x Anubia nana (7 months)

I've taken some photos to see if anyone can identify any nutrient deficiencies. I can perhaps see Magnesium and Potassium defiencies? One of the sword leaves is curving downwards on the tips and edges.

I dose Seachem Comprehensive once a week (about 1/2 to 1 capful) and the sword and Lily have Seachem Root Tabs right next to their roots. These will be replaced every 2-3 months. I also put a couple of teaspoons of calcium powder in the tank every 1-2 weeks to help my Mystery Snail. Use Prime as the water conditioner and sometimes dose excel when I remember.

No CO2 (maybe in the future as I add more plants)

Running the stock LED light that came with the tank (2 strips of white LEDs) however about to buy the Fluval Fresh & Planted 2.0 to future proof myself and will only run it at about 40-50% for the time being. Lights runs for 6 hours daily and about 40cm above top of small gravel substrate.

pH - 7.5
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - hovers around 20ppm
    gH - 6-8dgH (colour change used to be more obvious, now it seems very subtle)
    kH - 4dkH

Attached image of water parameters in the town water.

Temp is 25-29C (it gets hot in Australia!)

7x Sterbai Corydoras
    8x Pristella Tetras
    7x Cherry Barbs (will be getting 1-2 more)
    1x Mystery Snail

At least 50% water change each week, sometimes split up into 2 30% water changes. You can see the brown algae (diatoms) has stained the leaves of the Hygrophila, I'm unable to remove the stains. Hopefully the diatoms will die town as the tank matures. Run two HOBs with 1200L/hr output and a sponge filter with a bit of carbon in the hollow centre (not enough to make any real difference).

Is there anything else I should be dosing based on the look of my plants? Some will be acclimatising to the new tank given they've only been in there for 2 weeks. There's definitely some deficiencies there, maybe magnesium and Potassium being the main two.

Should I dose with Seachem Equilibrium or any macros?

Thanks!

60ea7bc8a0e9ab05bc7a6fb23ab5cd34.jpg

ff961a17bcec8d7cd596afe9f379ed5e.jpg

bd49225e7cf4aafaa463037e1b22ef71.jpg

4b606d93bf5c0b3542a932e99414cc5f.jpg

f23487c67ce570d85fea3492fc635593.jpg

d8676862189d626d2c557d51a3f37915.jpg

2e7cec9d39e7dd13db7d0d129bfed505.jpg

215e37d3705d46f7175d47adb32dbd1c.jpg

46eeb3da53fc043c7171eb703349ed24.jpg

2. appcontrol

appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

I don't know what deficit you have in nutrients, but best way is to regularly give easy live easy carbo it's like replacement for co2 its not as good as real co2 but i don't want to give you chemistry class now. And to give daily micro and macro nutrients, you can make them yourself just google diy macroelements for planted tank. Or you can use something like jbl Macroelements NPK and some micronutrients jbl or whatever you prefer.

And i like to make every week dose splited for 7 days so if i need to give 7ml of micronutrients per week i will give daily 1ml.

Good luck and wait for some experts that will tell you what you are missing, this was just my suggestion and my way of doing fertilization.

3. OP
    OP
    DaleM

DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Many thanks! I have Seachem Flourish Excel as a liquid carbon source, but will look into the easylife one.

Osmocote here in Australia do an aquatic fertilizer with NPK, so can use that. It lasts a few months, but most have fairly high NO3 which isn't needed in excess in an aquarium thanks to fish waste

4. appcontrol

appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

Excel should be good i didn't try it but it's probably the same as easy carbo.
    You can buy just nutrients that you need.
    Jbl have macroelements N, macroelements P, macroelements K or everything together. If you have diy varient of that to buy in local fish store it's even better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice