Nutrafin Cycle Question 

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If anyone read my previos post, then you know I am running an uphill battle against some bad advice from PetCo/PetSmart.

I was given Nutrafin Cycle to start my aquarium, but I have heard many times that it is not a good practice to use this. I want to get my tank stable, as now the water is clouding up a little, but I want to make sure I do it in a way that keeps my fish friends safe. The all seem to be happy, eating very well, very active and colorful.

I am to understand that if I just stop using it my tank may crash.

I should mention that I am well water and have no chlorine to worry about.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never used the product myself but what about using Tetra SafeStart to replace Nutrafin Cycle. Safestart is a one off product and your tank will be cycled properly after it's finished so you won't need to keep adding products

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it were my tank and I couldn't place the fish in another tank, then I would continue using the cycle product while performing regular partial water changes. To be safe I would use it for at least four weeks.

The type of bacteria present in this product (and several others alike), labeled heterotrophic, will not outcompete the type of bacteria that is present in the air we breathe, labeled autotrophic, that is the one that is capable of self-sustaining in our tanks.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
do you think I should "ween" the tank off the product by using less and less over a time period?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's an option. Another option is to let your tank go cold turkey, stop the Cycle product, and performdaily water changes with an Ammonia/Nitrite detoxifier like Prime or Amquel+. This detoxifies both the nasties for 24 hrs until your next water change...

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
is it better to not use a product at all and perform daily changes? or use prime and daily changes? should I do small changes say, 10%. or drastic changes like 50%?

Kronnn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
prime should be used to remove/detoxify any bad stuff in your tank. small daily water changes will be less stressful on your fish than big ones. good luck with your tank.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To keep the fish safe from the ammonia that will build up without a cycle established, ideally you will need Prime or Amquel+ to detox them. Ammonia does lasting damage to a fish, shortening its lifespan.

Saintsaber

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
good job on that but for people who say that the product didnt work PROBABLY DIDNT SHAKE THE NUTRAFIN CYCLE BOTTLE. The reason that people say it doesn't work they didnt shake and the bacteria was on the bottom of the bottle so JUST SHAKE THE BOTTLE and it should work. Now the nutrafin cycle product doesn't instantly work it takes 3 weeks or less so ya.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
is it better to not use a product at all and perform daily changes? or use prime and daily changes? should I do small changes say, 10%. or drastic changes like 50%?
I would do daily 50% water changes with Prime.

good job on that but for people who say that the product didnt work PROBABLY DIDNT SHAKE THE NUTRAFIN CYCLE BOTTLE. The reason that people say it doesn't work they didnt shake and the bacteria was on the bottom of the bottle so JUST SHAKE THE BOTTLE and it should work. Now the nutrafin cycle product doesn't instantly work it takes 3 weeks or less so ya.
It doesn't matter how long you shake the bottle or even if you shake it at all. The bacteria in the bottle can't survive in water. That's why it says to keep adding it for the life of the aquarium.

jessikarabbit

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have nutrafin in my cycling tank right now. My dip stick testing strips aren't telling me much right now.. All nitrate, nitrite and ammonia are at 0, and we just put it together yesterday, using nothing from the old tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

This is an older thread and these issues should have been resolved by now.

Be sure to check the date of the original post.

Thanks!
Ken
(closed thread)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads