55 Gallon Tank nutrafin cycle

abiza02
I used the product. But now I'm reading its no good. I still have no fish so I'm not in a rush. But will my tank cycle properly after using "cycle"? Just keep feeding the tank? Thanks

Also I can get gravel from my mother inlaws tank. Would it be smart to add some in the tank? Not sure if hers is at proper amm,nirite, and nitrate levels. Sorry for the newb questions. Just want the fish to be happy when I bring them to there new home

ploopy
I would not use nutrifin cycle,Tetra safe works great for me.There are many posts on here about it.Just make sure you don't use anything else with it.Try to get a little filter media from your mother in laws tank and put it in your filter.

PHP
It does work in my experice.

Just make sure - as if you were going to use any other bacterial additive - that you add it with fish (If not, the bottled bacteria that you poured into the tank will eventually die in 2-3 days).

With using a bacterial additive, your tank should actually cycle faster in expectancy than regular cycling would.

You could add some gravel from your mother in-laws tank, but gravel has only some bacteria in it and may it help little.

AlyeskaGirl
Yes, it's a bacterial additive that is not "truly aquatic". Anything that says add weekly, add when addition of new fish to maintain healthy biological colonies is best to stay away from including Stress Zyme and Cycle. A tank that is cycled naturally dose not need any additive to maintain but by only adding a few fish slowly so the bacteria can adjust to the bioload (waste load). Water changes with Prime then can be done to detox ammonia until bacteria adjusts if need be and not overfeeding.

Yes, getting a few cups of established gravel and some filter media is best will give the tank a boost with adding a few small fish. What fish did you have in mind?

Another route would be TetraSafe Start which is the only bacteria additive that has worked for several members to cycle a tank but not for all. It is designed to be used with fish. This product only needs to be added once, enough for the tank volume and adding the entire bottle or bottles. It takes anywhere from 10-14 days or so with no water changes and feeding sparingly. Keeps fish safe.

abiza02
Ok thanks everyone. I had already added it to the tank. But now I got filter media and gravel from my mother inlaws. Hope it stables out. My readings are amm 0.50, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0ppm. That's on an apI test kit.

AlyeskaGirl
Great on getting the established media and gravel.

The bacterial additive is what is giving you those readings. Do you have any fish in the tank?

abiza02
She is giving me her 12inch pleco but haven't put him in yet not sure if I can yet. Any recomendations?

AlyeskaGirl
abiza02 said:
She is giving me her 12inch pleco but haven't put him in yet not sure if I can yet. Any recomendations?
Noooo, don't take that Pleco at all. If it's that big then its the Common Pleco that needs a much larger tank. Plecos produce a lot of waste too. The common gets lazy as they get older and are just poo machines. You add that big boy to your tank the ammonia will sky rocket. He would basically stock your tank alone. There are others that stay under 6" if you are interested like the Bristlenose. To start with you need a few small fish as the beneficial bacteria has to adjust to the fish load. You add too many fish at once you'll find yourself with a bacterial bloom; milky water until things adjust. It takes time, be patient.

Are you interested in a community tank of peaceful fish Or do you want more of an active tank?

abiza02
So if I were to get him I could put other fish in the tank?
I really like the afra and lab chiclids. But not sure what I can have them with and if what I have in my tank is suitable for them. Still got a lot of reading to do.

AlyeskaGirl
I don't know much about Cichilds. I know most prefer an environment with sand and rock work. Temperament varies from the more peaceful species to aggressive. What you need to do is go to the Forum Home Page and click on More Freshwater Aquarium Topics and start a thread in Aquarium Stocking Questions.

Best of luck.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom