Numbers of various fish in 31G

FyaNyan

Hi,

I have a 31G tank. High PH (8ish). Very hard. Currently it houses:
I would like some help with exact species stocking numbers for this tank.

The gourami is my centerpiece fish.
The barbs and corys stick to the lower half of the tank. I would like to add a fish like zebra danios because they like the middle to top, but I don’t know if that’s too much for the tank. Also, how many cherry barbs should I get?

Oh, and just as a note: the gourami is medium-aggressive. He sometimes chases the other fish when they get in his space but he doesn’t seem to hurt them. If I get more fish I want them to be fast swimmers, bold, and not easily stressed. So far my fish are doing well together and eating well.

Thanks

BigManAquatics

I would add at least 2 cherry barbs to get their group up to 6 and add 3 panda cories to also get to 6. And yeah, i think you could do a group of 6-8 danios fairly easy. I like the leopard danios myself.

FyaNyan

I would add at least 2 cherry barbs to get their group up to 6 and add 3 panda cories to also get to 6. And yeah, i think you could do a group of 6-8 danios fairly easy. I like the leopard danios myself.
Thank you for the input!
6 pandas sounds like a good move. If I decided to go with 6 danios, how many cherries could I comfortably house? I don’t want to put too many fish in the tank. Also here are my tank dimensions; forgot to mention that.

Tank Dimensions
30 x 12 x 20

BigManAquatics

6 of each should be fine. Probably wouldn't go much above that.

FyaNyan

6 of each should be fine. Probably wouldn't go much above that.
Ok. Thanks.

I’m thinking of changing my strategy a bit based on behavior in seeing. I have been watching the gourami and noticed he’s kind of picking on the cories. He leaves the cherries alone because they’re always together. He’s not interested in them at all. The cories sometimes go off on their own...and I guess that’s tempting for him. I’m considering moving the cories to a different tank—

The problem is I only have a 10G, but it should be cycled by now, and has nothing living in it currently. I know corys should be in groups of 6, but could I keep 3 corys in a 10G? Would they be stressed?

Still want to get danios because I bet the gourami will ignore them, like the cherries.

BigManAquatics

Ok. Thanks.

I’m thinking of changing my strategy a bit based on behavior in seeing. I have been watching the gourami and noticed he’s kind of picking on the cories. He leaves the cherries alone because they’re always together. He’s not interested in them at all. The cories sometimes go off on their own...and I guess that’s tempting for him. I’m considering moving the cories to a different tank—

The problem is I only have a 10G, but it should be cycled by now, and has nothing living in it currently. I know corys should be in groups of 6, but could I keep 3 corys in a 10G? Would they be stressed?

Still want to get danios because I bet the gourami will ignore them, like the cherries.
Might be the black spots that intrigue them and target then. The LFS owner was telling me about that the other day, that some kind of aggressive fish will go after black spots on cories.

FyaNyan

Might be the black spots that intrigue them and target then. The LFS owner was telling me about that the other day, that some kind of aggressive fish will go after black spots on cories.
That could be it—spots often look like intimidating eyes to other animals. I hadn’t thought of that when I picked them out. Would it be wise to move the corys into the 10 gallon? I don’t want them to become too stressed from the gourami chasing them. What do you think would be best for the corys?

•••

Turns out, I think I can free up another 20L and move the gourami into that, so my problem is solved. Thanks for everyone’s help. I feel bad for making so many threads :( and asking so many questions.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishIord
Replies
Views
angsess78
Replies
Views
FishyLove1
Replies
Views